We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to stay??? Locals help!!

Kennewick, WA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Topic
Where to stay??? Locals help!!

Hi,

My girlfriend and I along with our 1 1/2 year old son will be making the trip westward to the coast for some R&R. I work for a Major hotel chain and am trying to escape that feel so therefore am looking for a small, inexpensive, ocean view cabin or cottage. We will be going on Friday January 26th for two nights. Any info on where to stay would be appreciated. Thanks so much!

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to stay??? Locals help!!

I suggest the Overleaf Lodge in Yachats, 17 miles south of Newport. Great facility located in a beautiful and centrally located area.

~Den~

Kennewick, WA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to stay??? Locals help!!

Thank you for the info Den. I like the location but am loking for something a little more rustic, again I work in a mojor hotel chain and dont want elevators, connecting doors, room brochures etc.. Id like a kitchen so I could boil up a crab and steam some steamers. Anything in the 50.00 to 80.00 range would be ideal but open to all suggestions! What would the chances of finding a lesser rate upon a walk-in on friday night?

Thanks, Brian

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to stay??? Locals help!!

There are also some cabin/cottage-type accommodations at/near Overleaf Lodge. The website shows them as Overleaf Village. I agree that Yachats, and particularly the Overleaf, is a great location, especially for storm watching . You're wise in looking for an ocean view, but ocean front would be better. In either case, you'll probably have to spend more than you're planning.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,070 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to stay??? Locals help!!

The Overleaf Village is spectactular. Small house (not really cabins) on the same grounds as the Lodge. If you like the area, you might check the Shamrock Lodge just south of the Yachats River. Much more rustic. They have some older cabins w/ fireplaces and some newer facilities all of which are pretty nice. They are running some pretty good specials right now.

~Den~

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to stay??? Locals help!!

You might want to check

vrbo.com vacation rentals by owner

I stopped there briefly and they have some options near your price in Newport and Lincoln City.

last time to Newport we stayed at Waves Motel. It sort of fits your description, but nearby was Viking Cottages. we have never stayed there but their website has some things that meet your needs.

Couple of places we have stayed that may meet your needs/price are Westshore in Lincoln City and Sunset Surf in Manzanita. Both are motels but kind of away from the resort areas Both oceanfront

Kennewick, WA
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to stay??? Locals help!!

Thank you all for the information, I appreciate it all. I happened to find a place for a different weekend but the price and location and kitchen did me in.... NOW the truth, what does anyone know about the Driftwood Village just north of Newport?? Only 8 units and with a view and a full kitchen!

7. Re: Where to stay??? Locals help!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2009, 01:18
Get answers to your questions about Newport