We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Museums Closed

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Museums Closed

Just in case anyone is planning on visiting, the End of the Oregon Trail Interpretive Center, Museum of the Oregon Territory, and Stevens-Crawford Heritage House have been closed indefinitely due to a lack of funding.

http://www.historicoregoncity.org/HOC/

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
11. Re: Museums Closed

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Maybe we'll visit Tillamook museum when we're down on the coast. Perhaps I should read Ken Kesey's "Sometimes a Great Notion" first - to get a feel for the place and people! ;-)

half-Brit: Bayocean reminds me of Dunwich, Suffolk

which is almost completely under the sea! Used to be a quaint museum there too; it's a tiny place but was worth visiting for the very knowledgeable and wonderfully eccentric historian!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Museums Closed

"Sometimes a Great Notion" good luck I have tried that may 4 times, and gave up. Kesey I guess is a great writer but too much for me. Part of the movie was filmed in my home town, and I grew up with people like that, loggers. So felt need to try.

Museums? one of the best in oregon in my view is the Maritiem Museum in Astoria. Does well telling the story of those who go to sea. Not sure if that also had to close. but would doubt it.

I think DIscovery Center in the Dalles still open though not sure. It is better than one in oregon City in my view. And Clackamas Co Hist Soc Museum may still be open.fNad ioo

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Museums Closed

I know where Dunwich is but have not been there in many a long year . . . 1969 I think, LOL.

The movie version of Sometimes a Great Notion is watchable if a bit over the top, much (most?) of it filmed in Lincoln County, south of Tillamook.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,504 posts
187 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Museums Closed

"Sometimes a Great Notion" is a masterpiece, in my opinion, but definitely not a quick read. Indeed, the first hundred or so pages are a real challenge. Kesey may stretch a paragraph for pages and incorporate half a dozen streams of consciousness from different people all in one sentence!

But, eventually, if you hang in long enough, it all begins to gel. In the meantime, you have to satisfy yourself with his word magic in describing the environment. It may all be foggy, but so realistic that you think you're getting wet.

The movie, even with Paul Newman, is no substitute for the book. It leaves out characters, fails to fully make the characters that are in the film credible and uses shorthand to describe what Kesey spent a hundred pages describing.

I know a lot of people can't make it through the book and I can understand why. If you've ever read Dostoyevsky you'll know what it takes to get through Kesey's story.

Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,054 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Museums Closed

I had t he same problem reading "One Flew Over The Coockoo's Nest", but I stuck it out and am soooo glad I did! Jack Nicholson was great in the movie, but there is absoluteely NO WAY to depict the way his charater's mind envisoned reality the way Keasey did in the book.

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Museums Closed

Thanks again everyone.

My husband has told me all about "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" which he read in his student days, and as for Crime and Punishment, Oregonpoppa, I know exactly what you mean... so I guess I'm in for quite a challenging read! I'll let you know how I get on.

Thanks to Chinookgrrl for recommending this book on a previous post. Perhaps Trip Advisor should start a Book Club section ;-)

As for museums, Astoria is on my list as a possible day trip, but I'm also keeping my fingers crossed that by August the End of the Oregon Trail IC may re-open; or maybe I could persuade my husband to drive to Baker City... hahaha

17. Re: Museums Closed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2009, 18:17
Get answers to your questions about Oregon City