We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

U.S.A.
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

It appears that the hotel/motel owner wrote his own review or solicited an employee to counter all the bad reviews for Inn at Cape Kiwanda. It is not possible to stay there or visit there without noticing the phenomenal traffic noise or construction on the beach. The site is massive and the debris all over. There is no way I believe the review from June 2007, having just visited there in May. Timeshare sales people chased you down the road trying to sell them. No peace and quiet nor relaxation in Pacific City. Even the locals are annoyed. The hotel/motel employees are oblivious and numb. We can't all be wrong! We visited at different times and all had bad experiences. None of us know each other. Cape Kiwanda is forever changed...for the worse.

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
171 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

While I agree that the hotel owner could have written the post you are referring to, it also could be that the poster was just pleased with her/her stay.

I have noticed posts that appear to come from owners/management, and I'm aware of a particular set of properties in Lincoln City, OR where the reviews on TripAdvisor were solicited by management, via a postcard that went out to their mailing list (I received one).

But I will point out that my husband & I stayed at the Inn at Cape Kiwanda last week (June 2-4) and were pleased. And I have no connection with the owners or management at all. (Note that I have posted many reviews over the past couple of years, and contribute to the Forums sometimes).

We got a pretty good deal on the room rate for agreeing to take a tour of the Inn owners' fractional ownership Cottages. I was expecting rather high pressure (but I have really good sales-resistance), and thought it would take the better part of 90 minutes. We were pleasantly surprised that it was 30 minutes start-to-finish, and no pressure whatsoever. Far from "chasing us down the street", the saleslady just said "I'll be in the real estate office if you want to come sign up" (or something to that effect).

I also disagree that the site is "massive" and "debris all over". I was not impressed that they have basically built these cottages (and are in the future building a lodge and spa adjoining) onto the side of a hill. They shored it up, but it still seems like they've "built their house on the sand" (reference to a Biblical story) and it just can't be that good for the ecology of the area. But the public beach below it is clean, and I didn't see any construction debris.

We did see a whale that hung out all day long, right off the shore in front of the area, so it was fun to see the spouting and sometimes the back and tail.

I would write up another review of the Inn for TA, but I think you can only write one per property. The other time we stayed there was 2.5 years ago, but we liked it both times.

I'd be interested in hearing others' opinions on the practice of hotel owners & management posting reviews on their own properties, and whether they think this happens with any frequency. Sometimes when I read a review it just doesn't sound quite right and I'm a little suspicious. I also look to see how many other reviews someone has written, to help determine their credibility.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,288 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

I cannot speak for this property at all, but I do have experience with someone from a hotel disputing my review.

A while back I wrote a review on a place we stayed. It was awful. A day or two after my review showed up, another review appeared that was attacking what I wrote. I knew it had to be an employee based on what they said. Basically, we had a coupon, and I did not mention that in the review. But the person commented on it. I know they had to have looked it up to see who we were. Easy to do since we called the front desk several times with specific noise complaints. Anyway, the hotel in question had quite a few negative reviews, yet after each one of those someone would come on and praise the manager and the employees. I did write to TA and explained everything, and they did remove the false review. I personally find it very irritating that hotels do this, much less ask customers to write. A hotel should be able to stand on its own merits and with honesty, IMO.

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

I think there are quite a few false reviews, both positive AND negative (from competitors, presumably). I've read too many head-scratchers about places I know are great to trust negative reviews any more than I trust overly positive ones. I will generally look at whether the person posting has done other reviews and/or posts on the forums, or whether they just posted the one, to get a sense of their credibility. I also generally throw out the most negative and the most positive reviews when I'm considering a place to stay--I figure the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I did that recently with my trip to Turkey and had wonderful stays at 3 great places that I decided to book mainly based on the TA reviews.

But do people really think it's a bad thing to ask people to post reviews? I routinely am asked to do so by places these days in a follow up email (including our absolutely wonderful hotel in Istanbul)--I think most savvy hotel/inn owners and operators know how important TA reviews are, so they ask their guests to post reviews as a matter of routine. I guess I'm not sure why that's bad. Now, if they were to bribe you to do so or something like that, that would of course be a different matter.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,794 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

Well, I can certainly understand your disappointment in the change that has taken place at Cape Kiwanda. I have been going there since I was a little girl and there were very few people there, ever! Boy has it changed!

I will say that I have a friend that stays at Cape Kiwanda about once a year and she has good things to say about it. She was there most recently about 2 months ago. Have things changed that quickly, I wonder?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,288 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

northwestwanderer--I just think that it is tacky for a place to ask or suggest a client to write a review. Just my opinion, I know. If I had an enjoyable stay somewhere and an employee made that suggestion, the establishment would lose credability with me. I know...I am kind of picky with things like that, but that's me:)

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,582 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

We stayed at Inn at Cape Kiwanda over the Thanksgiving holiday. The construction work was shut down at that time and I think the sales office was probably closed too. I wondered at the time how they got to permits to build out over the dunes and how the lodge and cottages would affect the views from the rooms at the north end of the Inn. But considering how the entire town has built up--I guess that's just progress. Darn!

I certainly had no complaint with the Inn itself. The rooms are lovely and the employees were all very nice.

I have never received a request from a lodgings company to do a posting, but if I ever do, you can be assured that I will post my honest opinions of the place and also mention the request for the posting!

7. Re: Bias from Hotel/Motel owner

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 10:25
Get answers to your questions about Pacific City