We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Pendleton from Boise

California
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Pendleton from Boise

I'll be driving to Pendleton from Boise next week (end of Feb).

I don't know the area.

Looks like the main road is I-84, and that it goes through the mountains.

I'm wondering how the roads are, if there's a bit of snow? (which is scheduled).

In general, is road pretty clear, or is one of those drives that is subject to fairly regular closures/slowdowns, in the winter?

GoogleMaps says it should take just under 4 hours. Is that realistic?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mentioned in this post
Boise
Boise
Idaho
5 replies to this topic
Florence, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Oregon Coast
Level Contributor
6,080 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Pendleton from Boise

I've driven this stretch many times, but never in the winter. It's good (interstate) road with no major problem areas with the exception of Cabbage Mountain, just east of Pendelton. If it's snowing, the curves and steep grades can cause problems if you are in too big of a hurry. On a positive note, the freeway is split in this area so you don't have to worry about oncomming traffic!

The pass over the Blue Mts, just west of Ontario, goes up pretty high as well, but I've not heard of it being a major problem area.

Good luck and be safe!

Edited: 21 February 2012, 15:58
Baker City
Level Contributor
217 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Pendleton from Boise

In case you missed my reply in the Idaho forum:

I live in Baker City, about halfway between Boise and Pendleton. I drive on that stretch of I-84 all of the time. Just yesterday I drove down to Fruitland, ID with light snow flurries with no problem at all.

It is most likely that you will be able to make the trip, doing the speed limit or above, with absolutely no problems.

If it is snowing moderately, you might want to slow down a little bit in the curvy and hilly places.

In the very unlikely event of an extremely heavy snow, you might have to stop for a while in one of the towns along the way to wait for the plows to clear the highway.

Here is what the trip from La Grande to Pendleton looks like at about 300 mph. At the end is the DREADED (it's not really that bad) Cabbage Hill.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ol8qZZiPeA

Mentioned in this post
Idaho
Idaho
United States
Boise
Boise
Idaho
Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Pendleton from Boise

In addition to Cabbage Hill Ladd canyon between La Grande and Baker City can be a problem. Both can be closed during stormy periods. I just looked at tripcheck, they have several cams set up. Right now Cabbage Hill looks better then Ladd canyon, though both passable. I never travel in that part of world without some traction devices. when we lived there had sawdust tires every winter, now I carry chains.

Edited: 21 February 2012, 16:28
Mentioned in this post
Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
44,178 posts
1,101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Pendleton from Boise

Tripcheck is a great resource as it will give you up to date road and weather conditions:

http://www.tripcheck.com/

California
Level Contributor
94 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving to Pendleton from Boise

Thanks to all for your input! I've learned that the person I will be driving with has snow tires on this car, and he's used to driving in the area in winter (Idaho side), although he doesn't know this particular drive.

Good to know about Cabbage Hill and Ladd Canyon!

And I will definitely check out TripCheck.

Mentioned in this post
Idaho
Idaho
United States
Reply to: Driving to Pendleton from Boise
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pendleton
Recent Conversations