We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Extended stay on a budget

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Extended stay on a budget

We are trying to locate lodging for one person in Pendleton for 10 weeks during the summer (first of July to first part of September .... not during Round-Up). We are looking for a place for about $600 a month or about $140 a week. We don't really have a preference on types of places (apartment, motel, room in a house, sublet, furnished or not, etc.). We'd prefer not to have to outlay a lot of cash up front on deposits and first/last month rent. Ideal location would be downtown, but we're open to any areas of town. Any ideas or links to resources? Thanks for your help!

Mentioned in this post
18 replies to this topic
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Extended stay on a budget

Try www.craigslist.com in Oregon / Eastern Oregon under housing. There are listings for furnished rooms for rent in homes, apartments, etc. You can post a "wanted" ad there as well. Probably a better fit for your search than this travel forum. Good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Extended stay on a budget

Thanks for that idea. I've been looking at craigslist about once a week for the past couple of months. I have not found anything suitable there, so I'm hoping that someone here would be able to point me in a new direction or provide me with a broader range of resources for my search. But I like your suggestion to post in the "housing wanted" section.

Thanks!

Chicago, Illinois
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,675 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Extended stay on a budget

Have you tried vrbo.com or airbnb.com?

Port Angeles, WA
Destination Expert
for Olympic National Park
Level Contributor
11,306 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Extended stay on a budget

You have some serious, even unrealistic, constraints. Airbnb.com does not handle 10 week rentals. Neither does VRBO. You want a short term rental, not a vacation rental, but you don't want to put down a deposit up front. Please try to see it from a landlord's point of view. Why would anyone want to rent to someone who won't put down a deposit? It's dangerous.

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Extended stay on a budget

Kaleberg, please try to see it from a reasonable person's point of view. Your tone is rude, and you have not provided any helpful information. Do you have anything positive or valuable to contribute? If not, please delete your post and refrain from posting.

As the Tripadvisor posting guidelines state: "If you can't offer friendly advice to a fellow traveler, it may be wiser to move along to the next thread."

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Extended stay on a budget

Thanks, fiveforefun, I will check those out!

Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Extended stay on a budget

Just to add a few more details to my situation. This rental is going to be for my son, who is a college student (in the Willamette Valley) and is going to be doing an internship in Pendleton this summer. That's why we're on a budget, and why this is just a 10-week rental.

If we paid first and last month's rent plus a deposit, we'd be paying more than the entire cost of the rental, so that's why we are not looking for a "traditional" apartment situation. Also, we are exploring both furnished and unfurnished, taking into account the cost of renting a moving van and driving across the state, versus getting a place that's already furnished.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Corvallis, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,127 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Extended stay on a budget

Another option may be to contact Blue Mountain Community College Pendleton campus (HR? Student services?) to see about finding a current college student who wants to sub-lease his/her apartment for the summer. Don't know if they have a newspaper, or perhaps their FB page might be a resource to connect with students. The college doesn't have dorms, but I know that lots of college students nationwide like to keep their apartments yet go home for the summer....thus a sublet is a good solution.

Or, does the company he's interning for have folks who can direct him toward finding a room to rent?

Again, I wish you good luck!

Mentioned in this post
Eugene, Oregon
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Extended stay on a budget

W, that is a fantastic idea! I'm going to do some research on the college and get in touch with them tomorrow. Thanks so much!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,625 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Extended stay on a budget

Ha, I knew it was for an internship! I have college kids, so that was an easy one to figure out;)

Don't worry, I don't think what you are looking for is unusual. The good thing is that in smaller towns like this people are more laid back and even if they are asking for the deposits, etc you can talk to them and often times compromise.

All that said, I think Wahiakids suggestions are excellent. Along that line, you might check with Eastern Oregon University in La Grande since it is only an hour away and they may have some resources for you as well.

Best wishes on this. We just dealt with the same thing:)

Mentioned in this post
Oregon
Oregon
United States
Reply to: Extended stay on a budget
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Pendleton
Recent Conversations