We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which airport closest to Port Orford?

Which Port Orford hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Pa.
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Which airport closest to Port Orford?

I am looking to find the nearest airport around Port Orford that would have flights going to San Francisco. Also-is there any bus service-or train service available? Any help would be great, and much appreciated. It seems Medford might be the closest-but I also saw 2 other small airports listed. Is there bus service from Port Orford to Medford Airport? Thanks in advance for any and all help!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,717 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which airport closest to Port Orford?

Unfortunately, there is no bus service between Medford and Port Orford that I can find. And I don't believe there is any bus service any longer along the southern Oregon Coast. I thought, perhaps, you might try flying into Crescent City and taking a bus from there, but Greyhound doesn't cover that stretch. Depending on what time of year you plan to go, Crescent City or Eureka might still be your best airport bet if you're prepared to rent a car and drive from there. Even if you flew into Medford you'd have to drive via Crescent City (and go north) or Coos Bay (and drive south).

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which airport closest to Port Orford?

Hi and welcome to TripAdvisor.

If you can get to Coos Bay - by air that would technically be the North Bend airport - there is bus service to Port Orford :-)

www.currypublictransit.org/cesched.html

Porter Stage Lines offers bus service to Coos Bay from Eugene (much larger airport than North Bend) , but I can't seem to find a website for them. There should be flights to Eugene from SFO via Portland.

May I ask why no rental car? This area is difficult to visit or see without a car!

Half a mo' here, just found this website which at my quick glance *appears* to be a bus service between Medford airport and Brookings, Oregon.

http://www.southwest-point.com/

Then the curry public transport website above does show the local bus going from Brookings to Port Orford.

Ta-da!

;-)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
7,717 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which airport closest to Port Orford?

Shows what I know!!!!

Good work, half-Brit. However, the way I read the schedules, if he/she flew into Medford the bus leaves around 11 and gets into Brookings around 7, with the bus from there to Port Orford leaving the next morning. I could also be wrong on the flight info, but it would appear that the only connection to North Bend would be via PDX...again a logistical challenge and not an inexpensive one.

Pa.
Level Contributor
2 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which airport closest to Port Orford?

Thank You half-Brit and oregonpoppa for your replies. I did follow your links half-Bit and I believe I have possibly found the answer I was looking for...yahoo!

I myself am not visiting the beautiful Oregon coast (yet), but I have a nephew who recently moved to Port Orford with his Father. I want to surprise my nephew with a trip to Boston-he's a high school junior, and I'd like him to visit some colleges in the NE, and he'd have a chance to visit with his cousin (who just started school in Boston).

Medford Airport seems to have some of the best prices for getting him to San Francisco-from SF he'll be able to fly nonstop to Boston. He's well traveled, so I'm not concerned that he'd miss his flights-or goof up because he didn't know what was going on (fingers crossed)... I just don't want his Dad to have to drive the 3.5 hrs. each way to Medford Airport.

Sooooooo... Thanks to half-Brit....I know this much so far......his dad can drive him one hour to Brookings-where he can board the Curry Public Transit bus for a little 3 hr, jaunt to Medford (he's young-he can take it). That's the one option that I have researched so far. Next I will search for flights from the North Bend airport. He might be hopping and skipping too much if I send him to North Bend, then Portland, then to SF. I think the Medford to SF is still my best option.

I'm not familiar with some of the northwestern airlines (Alaska, Frontier) so I have to lookup their flight paths- there may be an even better option if I send him north instead of south (Seattle vs SF).

His trip will take place on or about the 17th of Feb-so I very much appreciate both of you taking the time to help me figure this out. I will post back after I do some additional research.

Stay warm and if you don't have enough snow-I'll send you some after this weekend...we're supposed to get clobbered again!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which airport closest to Port Orford?

Glad to be of help :-)

North Bend, Oregon
Level Contributor
639 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Which airport closest to Port Orford?

United Express (United and partnered with Contenental IIRC) flys several times daily between North Bend (OTH) and SFO. To answer the original question directly, OTH is your closest airport to Port Orford with SFO service.

While I'm dependent on Alaska/Horizon and have come to love that airline, it's easier to skip them all together if you don't have need to go to Medford, Eugene, Boise, Juneau, etc...

- Case

7. Re: Which airport closest to Port Orford?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 July 2011, 07:17
Get answers to your questions about Port Orford