We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland traffic

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Portland traffic

We'll be in Potland for 2 days in June (part of a 10-day Oregon vacation). How's the traffic in Portland? Is there traffic going into and leaving Portland? What times should I try to avoid?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland traffic

" Potland " LOL!! such a great typo :D has nothing like California traffic or NY traffic.

There are certain highways like I-5 and the 405 and 26 that have heavy commuter traffic in the am and at typical rush hour times, but during the days, getting around here by car is mostly a breeze.

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland traffic

Retro Eugene is "potland"; Portland is, well, Portland. :) The one problem you might encounter in the downtown extended area is getting caught up on a bridge street. You then find yourself on the east side of the Willamette. No problem; once there, go N or S several blocks, get onto another bridge back into Portland.

Sonoma County, CA
Level Contributor
107 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland traffic

"Potland" - oops :D

Thanks for the info. I had a few people warn me about it so I thought I'd check.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland traffic

"Retro Eugene is potland." :-)

Not knowing the impacts of ongoing transit mall construction, I'm trying to avoid driving downtown these days. It's okay west of 10th I know, but what's it like between the river and Broadway?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland traffic

I work at SW 3rd & Washington so I can see the traffic snarl all the time - cars coming into downtown off the Morrison Bridge. Expect a few delays as the westbound traffic on SW Washington often is narrowed to one lane past 3rd.

Bus mall traffic moved to 3rd and 4th seems to be going pretty smoothly for the most part, though it's still weird seeing all those people waiting for the bus out there.

This is a good time to remind anyone planning to stay at Hotel Monaco (formerly 5th Avenue Suites) that a mess of road construction work is ongoing on 5th & 6th Aves. right now...

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,897 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland traffic

Hi Brian!!

We just got a note from the "Hotel Monaco" this morning, offering presents and bargains for their sort of grand opening..coming at a perfect time. We are moving and will be staying in the hotel until we fly away.. I will be hoping street noise will not affect the stay- at least it will not be in the night, they stop working at 5 or so, right?

I hear plenty of street noise here in the Pearl when the clubs close lol.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland traffic

I think you will find the PDX rush hour traffic similar in congestion to what you would see around Santa Rosa, I was in Santa Rosa a week ago.

The condition the roads are in around Oregon I would say Pot Ville is pretty accurate. The state hasn't raised the gas tax in roughly 21 years and we Oregonians would much rather navigate pot holes that pay any increased taxes.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,950 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland traffic

LOL at the tax thing:)

We stayed at the 5th Avenue Suites in late January and the construction was not smack in front of the front doors, but it was on the block over. We never heard a peep from it. The hotel looks so nice now! They really did a nice job on it.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,583 posts
113 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland traffic

Hey Scarlett and everyone:

I just walked past Hotel Monaco on the way back from lunch at 3 Lions Bakery (6th/Washington). Traffic on Washington is narrowed down to one lane (as has been typical the past few weeks) and there are plenty of barricades up, temporarily patched streets and sidewalks and big construction equipment on 5th.

I think the work crews usually quit around 3:30 or 4pm; I'd be more concerned about noise early in the morning, say before 8am. Though the City (supposedly) restricts noisy work during certain hours, I've heard jackhammering and sawcutting earlier than that some days. Also remember there's lots of noisy construction going on across Alder Street at the Macy's (Meier & Frank) block where the new hotel (The Nines) will be. Sidewalks all the way around it are closed, too. It's all in the name of Progress, but that part of downtown sure is a mess right now...

For the quietest night's sleep at Monaco, I'd be sure to request a room facing SW Washington if you can get it.

PS Scarlett: I'm sad to see you leaving Portland. Best wishes with your move!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland traffic

I think traffic in Portland metro area is a problem.

Have you tried to go to Vancouver at 4PM? Or in on 26 at 8AM. or out5PM. Downtown freeways are designed to avoid, the piece by Rose Quarter where 3 lanes of I-5 narrow to two lanes as I-405 joins it is really bad.

I-205 has been way to avoid I-5, but many times I have seen it at standstill where it goes to two lanes.

I-5 southbound on the Barbur hill often has trucks in all three lanes. It can be a problem any time during day.

For most part I avoid the freeways.

Just saying don't count on breezing through Potland at 60 MPH, it won't happen.

don't get me started on gas tax, but anyone notice Wash raised theirs?