We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Monaco or Dossier or Modera

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
508 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Monaco or Dossier or Modera

Hey guys - I had decided on the Kimpton Monaco and then the rates went up unfortunately when I tried to book it - now its the same price as Dossier or Modera - between those 3 hotels - do you have a favorite or is Monaco still the best?

Also - any reviews of the Inn at the Northrup Station? Is that a good location or no?

Looking at air bnbs in downtown, and strange that I cant find anything cheaper than these hotels (below 170 a night in downtown) is that standard?

thanks guys!! appreciate the help. should have just booked Monaco :(

13 replies to this topic
Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,807 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

I have not stayed at any of these except the Monaco, so can only comment on locations. Yes, there Inn at Northrup Station is a great location, IMO. It is in the NW 21/23rd street area which is chuck full of wonderful shops and restaurants and an easy walk to the Pearl and downtown.

Level Contributor
38,847 posts
1,013 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

Inn @ Northrop is in a great location... walking distance to cool shops and restaurants. We have stayed at The Monaco and really enjoyed it. The Nines is another one of our favorites. Check their website for specials. 🌹

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

The other thing about Inn at Northrup Station is that it’s on the streetcar line, which will take you through the Pearl District into downtown....and across the river to the east side. Nearby restaurants to check out: Ataula, St. Jack, and just next door, Vitaly Paley’s first Portland restaurant.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

Thanks guys - love the nines - but out of budget for now. Between the Inn and Northrup and Monaco - pls help me decide? The inn looks a little wonky/ crazy décor/ not as nice from the pics? Between the two which would u pick?

thanks.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

Yes, 70’s retro-wonky pretty well describes Inn at Northrup Station. Think they even had shag carpets when they first opened. But in a city with the slogan, “keep Portland weird”, that’s part of its appeal. If it helps, the area is urban neighborhood-ish, whereas Monaco’s is more mid-town Manhattan-ish.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

I'm a minority vis Inn @ Northrup -- it's out of the way for most of what you'll want to do in Portland, despite being on the streetcar line. IMO Monaco is a better bet for location.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

Thanks so much guys, I am sorry for the multiple posts but our rate got sold out at the Monaco and back to square 1.

Any thoughts on Lucia vs Benson hotel pls? I know very different kinds, but do u absolutely love or hate one hotel?

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

Lucia much more young and hip. Benson somewhat old and stodgy or "classic". Both good choices.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
508 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

does anyone have a view between Modera and Lucia? Disppointed that I dint book Kimpton Monaco in time, and now just looking around. Modera seems to be a bit further away - not sure if one hotel is better over the other? both same price. thanks!!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,006 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Monaco or Dossier or Modera

Modera is a few blocks away from downtown (near Portland State University) but not too bad. It has a very good restaurant attached. It's a hip place, with lovely public spaces -- I haven't seen the rooms.

Hotel Lucia is more centrally located, closer to the Pearl District, and also a cool boutique space. It also has a well-regarded restaurant attached (The Imperial).

I don't think you'd go wrong with either. Lucia is closer to some things (Pearl), Modera to others (Art Museum).

Reply to: Monaco or Dossier or Modera
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted