We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
541 posts
247 reviews
Save Topic
Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

okay.. just want to say you guys are very good about offering details with some of these questions. been trying to read and write things down. We will be going to Portland this summer. Not knowing much yet and trying to plan a 3 day itinerary in Porltand. What is the best way to see the River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Falls? is there a driving loop around these places? can this be done as a day trip? etc... thank you much.

7 replies to this topic
Vancouver...
Level Contributor
256 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

Ok, first get a paper map of Oregon. This way you can see where the roads are, where the go etc. Then you can figure out from the scale on the map how far you can drive in a day, given your average mph and where you want to stop and how long you want to stop for. I know, it's something you must work for, but it will give you so much better understanding of your adventure than if we just gave you the answers. Good luck and have fun.

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
541 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

thank you for this info but the whole purpose is to get answers and details from other travelers who have been there, etc.. best ways to do things etc...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

Multnomah and the other popular waterfalls are in the Columbia River Gorge, most of them within 30 miles of Portland. I know you're looking for details, but as the saying goes, a picture is worth a thousand words. So, here are a couple thousand.

columbiariverhighway.com/wp-content/uploads/…

columbiariverhighway.com/wp-content/uploads/…

It's a bit of a stretch, but the Loop route can be done in a day, which might be a good plan for you, as it reserves time for another day trip to the coast. :-)

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
541 posts
247 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

Mgventures.. thank you so much. This is kind of what i was looking for. Info with references, websites etc..to look up. I appreciate it. :)

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

https:/…stelprdb5227071.pdf

Yes, you can do it as a day trip...or take several days.

You have to excuse Walter's impatience, but we get hundreds of similar questions every month from people who make this their first stop instead of doing a little research first so they come to us with a bit of understanding about the geographic distances, driving times, information on their interests and abilities (such as for hiking), etc. Lately, we've been getting a lot of posters who think we're their personal travel planners, not just a collection of motivated volunteers who want to help make you visit a good one by sharing our knowledge and experience...a lot of which you can't get in Google (although Google is a good starting place). TripAdvisor also has city pages where the top attractions, hotels, restaurants, tours, etc., are rated and reviewed.

Getting back to the Columbia Gorge, though. You should be aware than devastating fires tore through the Gorge last summer, leaving many trails closed indefinitely and access to some areas restricted or limited. I just heard on the news that many visitors are ignoring the no trespassing signs and warnings and are getting hit with stiff fines. There's no way for us to know what the situation will be when you get here. You'll have to check it at the time and let us know what you find. After all, this travel info business is a two way street. Most of the time, we never hear back from those we've helped.

So, to answer your question, you need a car to properly see the gorge, how much time it takes depends on how many things you want to see and do, whether you spend time in Hood River, on the Fruit Loop, go up to Timberline (dine take a tour and play in the snow), have meals along the way, enjoy a brewpub or two (or three), etc. The link above will get you started. But you should never head out on a driving excursion in Oregon without a good paper map (don't depend on Google or GPS).

After you've done some of the prep work, we'll be happy to help with specifics.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,460 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

Good point oregonpoppa, but I can't believe the historic highway won't be open by the summer. But maybe some trails. Didn't see a lot of fire damage at/near Crown Point when my daughter and I were there a week ago. Beautiful day, but it's hard to focus one's attention when the wind's blowing 50 - 60 mph.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
9,879 posts
200 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls

The fear is primarily of rock and mudslides. You don't see them until they happen and then it's often too late.

With our wet winter, it could be late July or August before the trails and hillsides dry out enough and vegetation grows back enough to declare some of the trails safe.

Reply to: Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood and Multnomah Falls
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted