We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around & Where to Stay

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around & Where to Stay

I need some opinions.

We're going to have a car with us and are currently debating on where to stay - downtown or outside the city.

Should we just stay downtown, pay the absurd hotel parking day rate and use our feet and public transit to get around Portland?

Or stay outside of the city and drive in, park as needed?

We don't have a laundry list of what we're doing yet other than hitting up Powell's, a nice dinner (restaurant TBD) on Saturday night, and just relaxing. (And I'll most likely want to take advantage of shopping.)

Thanks!

Level Contributor
35,001 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

Try booking your hotel on the POVA website, they offer complimentary parking and breakfast through this site. We enjoyed a nice stay last summer at the Heathman Hotel, it is downtown and convenient to shopping.

We enjoyed some great shopping in Portland this past Fri., gorgeous dayin the city. Enjoy your travels! Where are you considering for dinner? We had nice meals at Park Kitchen, Lovely Hula Hands and Ten 01 our past trip. :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,893 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

Downtown would be best. You don't have to park in the hotel, there are Smart Park lots all over town, great rates.

Feet and public transport is cheap and actually sorta fun here :)

Getting in and out of town with construction going on all over the city might take away valuable sightseeing/shopping time !

My favorite and some of the newest places in town :

Fenouil, had lunch there Friday, dinner is great, wonderful place.

Everett Street Bistro, breakfast, lunch and dinner, very close to my apt so we are there all the time...I have nothing bad to say about the place. Casual bistro setting , excellent food.

syrahgirl, you should take advantage of all of the lists we post here and try somewhere new..Park Kitchen is good but there are so many places to try, think about it, next year when you come back.

Piazza Italia, downhome Italian, great casual atmosphere, good good food..nothing Fine Dining about this place LOL

Giorgios, this is fine dining Italian style

Then you have Fratelli's, Italian but different. Very good.

NW 21st St has Serratto, Tuscany Grill and Cafe Minto..North 45 ( mussels and frites) and a new place called Virgo & Pisces..

Here are my lists that I forgot that I made, you can get web addresses from them..hope this helps!

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1398-Portland_…

Portland_Eats_NW.html

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1395-Portland_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1394-Portland_…

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,893 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

*ps*

Hotels here run the gamut on price..you might be better off just calling the hotel directly, if they have a special, you can get it that way too.

We always stay at the Monaco Portland, there is also the Vintage Plaza, Lucia and the Inn at Northrup Station.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

There are several nice hotels included in the POVA free parking deal, but it's hard to imagine they're giving away a $20 value for nuthin'. So, I'm wondering if, as Scarlett suggests, you couldn't get a better rate than offered through POVA by booking directly with a hotel.

I was also going to suggest something like Inn at Northrup Station, where you don't pay to park, and it's right on the streetcar line for easy access to downtown. But you wouldn't even have to go downtown to find great restaurants and shopping. Lots of that within walking distance of Northrup Station. AND... Northrup Station is conveniently located for that trip out to Skyline Restaurant! :-)

Besides a good burger, what kind of food are you looking for?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

I agree about calling hotels directly. We have always received better rates than any other offers this way.

If you stay at the Inn at Northrup Station, it is right there in the NW part of town (tourists call it Nob Hill, but the locals do not) where you will find all sorts of unique shops and loads of restaurants.

Even if you stay in the main downtown area, Portland is so compact that it is easy to walk everywhere, even to the NW area.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,893 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

Off topic a bit:

I recently heard about a restaurant owner that told his employees to tell a certain customer that they were always full... lol. Never have a table available for this pain in the neck .. So imagine their dismay when the customer used Open Table.

LOL this story just made me laugh since I have never used Priceline or Open Table and it made me picture it all in a whole new way.

I forgot about the free parking at the Inn at Northrup Station ! It is right there, you can almost see your car from the room.

You also get a fridge in the room / suite which can be nice ..

And the streetcar stops, right there :)

Tonight we are going Happy Hour-ing with friends .. a sort of Going Away Happy Hour ( we expect to do this often this week lol ) so I will suggest that you try to have drinks at Vault and/or bluehour .. outside if the weather is fine..the drinks are great and so is the atmosphere ..

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

"If you stay at the Inn at Northrup Station, it is right there in the NW part of town (tourists call it Nob Hill, but the locals do not) where you will find all sorts of unique shops and loads of restaurants."

Mtngrl, I'm curious about that--I was walking around Northwest 23rd on my most recent visit and because of statements like this on this board, I found myself noticing how many businesses, etc in that area had the name "Nob Hill" in them--and it was a LOT. Just thought that was interesting ;-). I know people who live in Portland just call it "Northwest 23rd" or even just "Northwest" but I can certainly see how someone might get a different idea ;-).

Anyway, I stopped in and looked at the Inn at Northrup Station while I was in the area (I was staying at the DeLuxe) and it's CUTE! The price is right, too.

And to the OP: I'd check both the POVA "Big Deal" and with the hotel directly. Sometimes the hotels do really give the association better rates, in the interests of promoting Portland as a destination.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,893 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

I think I can answer regarding Nob Hill.

A long time ago, someone did call the area Nob Hill. They wanted to convey the impression of an upscale neighborhood, much like the "real" lol Nob Hill.

There are about 3 businesses that I know of that have Nob Hill in the name..The Old Nob Hill Pharmacy that is a cafe and a real estate office..actually, there are only 2 places that I know of lol.

But from personal experience, after reading a Tourist guide a couple of years ago, upon arrival in Portland ( as a visitor) , we were looking at our map, a lady asked if she could help us, we said we wanted to go to Nob Hill.

She laughed at us and said there is no Nob Hill...then she made a joke about California..

so from that experience and having lived here a little while, I never refer to anywhere in Portland, as Nob Hill... ( I don't want anymore people laughing at me ) lol

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

Nob Hill...... I guess the whole point is why be confusing if you don't need to be? I live in a SW Portland suburban neighborhood, and would bet that half my neighbors would answer San Francisco if asked where Nob Hill is. So, you won't catch me laughing at you, Scarlett. ;-)

What did you think of Hotel DeLuxe, northwestwanderer? My wife and I spent a night there last fall and liked it a lot. Might have had a little to do with the free upgrade though. ;-) And, did you eat at Gracie's? The original exec chef there kind of fell flat on his face, but I've heard they hired a new one who's doing good things.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,937 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

Northwestwanderer--I see Scarlett already explained it so I won't repeat:)