We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting Around & Where to Stay

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Getting Around & Where to Stay

I need some opinions.

We're going to have a car with us and are currently debating on where to stay - downtown or outside the city.

Should we just stay downtown, pay the absurd hotel parking day rate and use our feet and public transit to get around Portland?

Or stay outside of the city and drive in, park as needed?

We don't have a laundry list of what we're doing yet other than hitting up Powell's, a nice dinner (restaurant TBD) on Saturday night, and just relaxing. (And I'll most likely want to take advantage of shopping.)

Thanks!

Seattle
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

I had to give in and let my husband help whittle down all of the yummy places.

Now the fun part will be attempting to get reservations...for this weekend!?!?!!! (Yes, we're crazy; this little trip has been thrown together very quickly; just secured a room this evening for three days from now)

Cross you fingers for us; in order of preference we're going to try for Saturday night:

1 - Fenouil

2 - Lucy's Table

3 - Paley's Place

4 - Fratelli

5 - Giorgio's

With such short notice should I come up with other alternates in case I can't get a table at one of the above?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
22. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

If you're a little flexible as to time, you won't have a problem, CynCyn. I'm guessing Fenouil will have room for ya. Big place compared to the others on your list. How'd you come up with that order? And where did Lucy's Table come from??? ;-) Let us know if you run into problems. We've still got a bunch of recommendations in our hip pockets.

I haven't been to Tabla either, Scarlett. It's on that side of the river that I rarely venture to. ;-) Don't hold your breath on that Ten 01 post. History has been that she usually only answers questions that aren't asked. ;-)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

CynCyn, gooood list ! :O)

Looking forward to reading you review :)

mistletoe, too often questions are never answered .. just leaving the impression that the entire post is questionable..thus giving good reason to disregard anything that person posts on TripAdvisor.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

Oh.. CynCyn!

I would put Paleys after Fenouil...that restaurant might be harder to get a table in at such short notice ( smaller) but I think everyone would agree that Paleys is better than Lucy's Table..actually Paleys can be at the Top of most lists.

Seattle
Level Contributor
156 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

Thank you! Thank you! This slapdash trip is coming together nicely!

Lucy's Table was a possible option after seeing it on one of

Scarlett's lists; menu looked interesting.

Doesn't matter...we've got reservations at our first choice:

Fenouil this Saturday! Whoohoo!!

I guess my huband and I will just have to make more trips to Portland to try out the other places. (Oh darn!)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,895 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

Coming back to Portland to try other restaurants ? Punishment indeed!! LOL

I think/hope you will be happy with your choice.

If not you can feel free to blame me :)

But if you love it, be sure to give me all the credit lol...

Today is a bit rainy but whle waiting for the streetcar the wind blew and we were covered in tiny pink flower petals, it was so pretty..Spring in Portland is just so beautiful with the colors of green and everything blooming..I am still used to NE Springs where any day is freezing and we wait til May for a bit of warmth..

Have a wonderful visit!!

oregon
Level Contributor
26 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

I would recommend the Hotel Vintage Plaza downtown - it has great ambiance - not your typical hotel. I think it's worth to spend the extra dollars to stay downtown as opposed to driving in, because you can walk to everything.

28. Re: Getting Around & Where to Stay

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 03:16