We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland Conference

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chico, California
Level Contributor
142 posts
86 reviews
Save Topic
Portland Conference

Were going to be in Portland for 5 days in late May to attend conference. We are staying at the Hilton Downtown and like some suggestions on places to eat (seafood, ethnic or anything thats a "portland kind of thing" , listen to live music (Blues or Jazz) , coffee house , and micro brews. Thanks for your input.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland Conference

Seafood:

You can get good fish in most decent restaurants in the city, but for a place that serves mostly fish, Jakes in the Governor Hotel .. there is also a Jakes Crawfish but I can't stand them.

Ethnic: which eth? lol

Peruvian- Andina in the Pearl

Japanese - Hiroshi or Sinju in the Pearl

Chinese- Sungari Pearl , yes, in the Pearl

portlandfood.org is where you can find a lot of discussion on falafel and Mexican and Thai places ..

Thai-Typhoon on Broadway, wonderful! downtown.

MisoHappy- inexpensive, family sort of Vietnamese on NW 23rd

Silk-more expensive, lovely VIetnamese on NW 10th , in the Pearl

coffee? in Portland, hmmmm, I don't know :O)

and beer? does anyone still drink that stuff?

lol

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland Conference

Scarlett has good recommendations. Really like Sungari and Silk.

For coffee, in the Pearl, try the Pearl Bakery. Scarlett, how could you forget to mention this?! I just give her a hard time because she is a regular there, and we have been there several times together:)

For beer, head to Henry's. Over 100 beers on tap, and in the bar area they have an ice trough to keep your drink cold. There is also a billiards room upstairs. There are other breweries in town, but I will leave those to Brian as he is the resident expert on this.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland Conference

LOL, we just came in from the Pearl Bakery, (my afternoon sugar & caffeine fix !)

I don't think of it as a "coffee house"...since Portland has coffee places on every corner, I cannot think of any that stand out..I can throw a rock at Peets, Starbucks and Stumptown from my window ( well almost lol)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland Conference

"Resident expert" here, chiming in on the brews ;-) Thx Mtngrl...

Here's a map link I posted in another ongoing thread (see "Brewpubs?" started by timo2): http://web.pdx.edu/~afreed/gis/Streetcar_Map.pdf . This will help you navigate around the pubs, etc. in the downtown area. Many others around the city, many great neighborhood brewpubs not on this map - just post back if you want more info, FEsquivel.

I'm a fan of Coffee Plant for a rich, roasted cup and a delicious pumpkin muffin (about 3 blocks from Hilton - SW 7th/Washington) or Stumptown which has a location on SW 3rd/Pine and another off the lobby of the new Ace Hotel (SW 10th/Stark). The 3rd/Pine location has a cool hipster vibe at night with DJ's, but they also make great coffee drinks and even have a moderate selection of top-quality beers (many Belgians, Germans, English with a couple locals from Hair of the Dog) to enjoy at their bar.

If you have a car, I strongly recommend a 10 minute drive from downtown to Alberta Street Oyster Bar & Grill on quirky NE Alberta St...& the whole table needs to order the ever-changing and always outstanding "Chef's Whim" dinner if you go. Trust me, it's outstanding...look up the restaurant on google, they have a good, descriptive website.

Enjoy your visit!

Brian

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland Conference

Brian--On your local expert title, they need to add breweries to it as well:)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland Conference

LOL, Brian, I agree with Mtngrl :O)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland Conference

Alberta St. Oyster Bar & Grill..... I agree with Brian; this is probably my current favorite Portland restaurant. I was a little worried we might be disappointed when my wife didn't want to order the Chef's Whim last time we were there. Next time, I'm not sure what we're gonna do. It's just one of those can't miss places, regardless of what you order. Go if you have a chance.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,572 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland Conference

Someday I'll sit down and write one of those TA Inside/Travel Guide pages called like "Brewpubs" (clever, eh?)...then whenever someone asks , we can just post "look [here]"...like the awesome "restaurant lists" or "things to do" lists y'all (Scarlett!) have so meticulously composed...

But until that "someday" comes...

Oh I thought of another place for dinner...Park Kitchen (422 NW 8th Ave on North Park Blocks). We actually have been here recently and loved the dinner; food is wonderful, well-prepared "NW-style" (is that a style?), pretty dining space. Last spring my wife went with her office and some clients to a big sit-down (maybe 10-12 people)...for about $40 a person, they were served for well over 3 hours and sampled almost every item on the menu. I was very jealous, hearing about the amazing dishes, terrific service and great time they had.

A visit to Park Kitchen would be a quick drive or cab ride for FEsquivel to make from the Hilton (maybe 15 blocks); could be a fine place to check out if you have a large group (but call ahead of course). And, yeah, I know there are many other new restaurants that everyone's excited about...I just wanted to post about a relatively recent visit to an "old favorite"...notice I didn't mention sg's "visit" y'all were amused by (oh wait, I just did...) ;-)

Anyhow, hope that helps...

B

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland Conference

Yeah, putting together those lists is time consuming , they do make it much easier than repeating yourself all the time though.

I tend to forget that I did them and I just repeat myself all the time lol.

I like Park Kitchen, but with all the new places around, it has slipped on my list. But it is a good recommendation and good to hear from someone who has been there within the past year!

Do make a brew pub list, it would be great, I am sure and definitely helpful..after all, you are the Expert :O) lol

10. Re: Portland Conference

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 August 2009, 05:30