We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinery check for Sat.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Itinery check for Sat.

About 8 months ago many of you posted a wonderful set of options to see when we were in the Portland area. If you remember I was unable to go to Cannon Beach, Mo's, the tower in Astoria, etc.because I got too sick to go. However, my son and his fiance took all of your suggestions and went to these places.

I'm doing better again and so we are going up there on Sat. for a 24 hour trip. Here's what I'd like to do and let me know if it sounds realistic.

We're flying into Portland at about 9:30 a.m. without having to check luggage. My son will pick us up and knows the airport well so no worries about taking too much time there. Say we are on the road to Cannon Beach by 10:00 a.m.

We will stop at the little stop over (I forget what it was) on the way to Cannon Beach. I told him to do it and he liked it. So I think we will get to Cannon Beach at lunchtime. Eat at Wayfarer and then fly kites on the beach. Sound realistic...time, activity, lunch?

Then drive to Ecola Park and walk awhile...though not a far distance since we'll be taxing my level of energy by this point. Say we stay there an hour or two max.

Maybe stop for a snack (ice cream, but where?) and then off to Portland or go around the Astoria way to get to his house in Vancouver, WA. We'll be working on putting together his mountain bike once we're there at his house. (1 hour max.)

Then out to dinner and they drop us off at the Heathman Lodge since the Lodge was so kind to take me in when I was too ill to travel last time.

I don't want to go to Mo's since he already went there and I wanted to take in Ecola Park so he had new memories with us and his girlfriend.

Is this a realistic plan or too much?

Would it be better to take the same way back to Portland or go the way through Astoria since he lives in Vancouver?

Thanks...you did well on the suggestions last time. I appreciate the help.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinery check for Sat.

I think it might be a little aggressive. PDX to Cannon Beach without any stops is about 1.75 hours. Figure the same amount of time or longer to get back to Vancouver, unless you go through Astoria, which would add about 45 minutes. So, how much time does that leave you in Cannon Beach if you're going to make your dinner reservation?

Have you already purchased kites? I know I could spend an hour in Once Upon a Breeze just shopping for one. And you'll want to explore the tidepools around Haystack Rock..... If you find you need to cut anywhere, I'd suggest it be at Ecola St. Park. Take the short walk out to the viewing platform near the main parking lot, and spend a few minutes admiring the views from a bench or picnic table. It doesn't take long to get a sense of and appreciate the beauty of the place.

Was it Camp 18 where you were planning to stop on the way? If so, I'd plan that for the trip home instead; get your snack there. It's about 22 miles from Ecola. Otherwise, there are a couple places to get ice cream in Cannon Beach.

Hope the weather is nice for you. Best dress in layers, though.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinery check for Sat.

Mistletoe...thanks. We bought kites here already but will return them because we aren't checking bags. The airlines rep said we would have to check them. I called my son and he is purchasing them for us. I went on Once upon a Breeze website and it was really neat. I was looking for something that if it blew away we'd not be out much money. So he'll get them at Toys R US in Portland.

We'll skip the Ecola State Park unless we have lots of time. If we have time we'll go to the look out. Thanks for the modified plan.

I think we'll leave from the airport and stop at Camp 18 or Wayfarer Restaurant. I looked them up and liked both places. Then fly our kites, get some ice cream and head back to Portland.

I tried to find previous posts that people wrote for me months ago about a place to visit on the way to Cannon Beach from Portland. It wasn't a restaurant just something to see. Maybe it was a monument or a special tree. I thought my son called me from that place and told me about it. He doesn't remember it. (With this disease and meds I could be totally off.) Does anyone know what I might be referring to?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinery check for Sat.

You're probably thinking of the largest Sitka Spruce in the country(?)... world(?), just a few miles before the junction with hwy 101. I actually stopped there a few weeks ago, and found much of the area around the tree cordoned off because of the danger of falling trees. You could stop, but unless things have changed, it will probably be a disappointment. Come to think of it, I don't even remember seeing the tree, and am wondering now if it's still there. Anyone know?

Level Contributor
36,329 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinery check for Sat.

Sounds very fun, both the Wayfarer and Camp 18 are nice, in different ways. Camp 18 is a loggin museum and the food poritons are HUGE. We have had breakfast there, it's a cool place with a rustic type decor.

Wayfarer is also nice, located at the Surfsand Resort. We had a nice dinner there last summer, the dining room was a little loud with large families that night, the salmon is excellent here. I have a review with some photos of our meal at the Wayfarer. We had a nice table by the window with pretty views of Haystack Rock. I wish there were more "view" options for dining in Cannon Beach.

Have fun on your travels and with your planning! :)

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinery check for Sat.

who's who,

Tthe Spruce tree you are referring too was unfortunently damaged in a storm this past winter. I agree completely and compliment mistletoe on his trip advice to you. I agree you may be dissapointed in taking time to see the tree, I suggest you concentrate on the ocean beach as mistletoe has recommended. I hope you enjoy your visit with your family and to Oregon and God speed your continued recovery.

Mesa, Arizona
Level Contributor
278 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinery check for Sat.

Thanks again to everyone for the information. I am so HAPPY that I did remember the tree. I KNEW there was something I had planned to view on the way to Cannon Beach before when I thought we would get to do so much. Good thing our son went to the tree when it was still up. He was telling me I might be "confused" since he didn't remember anything like that.

Now when I see him tomorrow I can remind him of the special tree. I can't tell you how much fun it is to be right once in awhile when everyone else forgets. Being the one who is usually confused, it's just a blast to be right. Everyone is always amazed when I do that. ME TOO!!! It means I've made some progress. YEA!

OK, the kite situation fell apart. The Toys R US and Wal Mart in Portland didn't have kites yet. (Only small ones with characters on them) Probably too early in the season. So we're going to bring what we have bought. Hope after all this we can actually fly them.

I'll be funny and do a trip report for my 24 hours in Oregon. It may be short but I may see more on this trip than the last one which was 4 days. Wish me luck!

7. Re: Itinery check for Sat.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 10:18