We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

good toddler friendly japanese restaurant in Portland?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
good toddler friendly japanese restaurant in Portland?

We'll be visiting portland in a few weeks and we're looking for a good japanese restaurant to take our toddler for some excellent sushi (she loves ikura and we love good quality sushi). Any recommendations as to the best place?

Thanks!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: good toddler friendly japanese restaurant in Portland?

The Japanese restaurants that I like in Portland are not so toddler friendly but there is one on NW23rd that someone else on here might know the name of, but they have outdoor seating and we always had very good fresh nicely made sushi.

Not Japanese but also on NW23rd is Miso Happy where you and the baby can have a nice lunch, Thai/Vietnamese..hope this helps!

The nice Japanese place is called Sinju.

The other places that I know of are Hiroshi and a chain place on 10th called SushiLand..

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: good toddler friendly japanese restaurant in Portland?

Scarlett mentions SushiLand (aka Marinepolis); I agree it's probably a good choice for bringing a toddler. They have several location in metro area and are one of 'conveyor-belt' type restaurants. Sushi is generally good and I know they serve Ikura-maki; if not plated, you can always ask for it. Prices vary from $1-3 per plate. They have chairs and booths and plenty of space; it's the one sushi restaurant where I've always seen kids. Location in the Pearl District at NW 10th & Davis and another near Lloyd Center at NE Weidler, between 14th and 15th. Google 'sushilandusa'.

For nicer places, Scarlett again gets it right IMO. Sinju is a beautiful restaurant with very good sushi; it's probably our favorite sushi place in Portland. Hiroshi - we went to for Valentine's dinner and I thought it was a little overpriced and we felt rushed to get in/get out. Could've been a better experience but would go back, because the food was very good. Both these places are adjacent to Jamison Square, around the intersection of NW 10th & Johnson (Pearl District). Both are what I'd consider upscale and more adult-oriented, so a toddler may or may not be welcome - call first?

A final thought is Mio Sushi. There's one located at NW 23rd/Johnson and five others located throughout the metro area. Big, tasty rolls & a more laid back restaurant. Google 'mio sushi' for their website.

Hope that helps.

Brian

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: good toddler friendly japanese restaurant in Portland?

Thank you, very helpful information. I'm going to call Sinju and see if kids are okay. We've taken her to some nice sushi restaurants in SF and they were very accomodating, especially when they get to watch her eat fish eggs (she devours them)!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: good toddler friendly japanese restaurant in Portland?

My son was the same way, he entertained the waiter with his slapping on as much wasabi as we would allow and eating Tekka don like it was a PB&J ... lol..

Hi Brian!

5. Re: good toddler friendly japanese restaurant in Portland?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 01:18