We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Three days in Portland with toddler

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Three days in Portland with toddler

We'll be spending 3 days in Portland with our 2 1/2 year old and are looking for things to do that would be fun for all of us. I know about the children's museum, the zoo and OMSI (although not sure if she is too little to have fun there). We're definitely checking out some of the bigger gardens but wondered if there are any 'must see' attractions that she would enjoy. I heard somewhere that there's a park that has a water feature for the kids but can't remember the name.

Also, any recommendations for restaurants or neighborhoods to take a stroll in with a child.

Thanks much!

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

OMSI is nothing like the Exploratorium but it tries. I grew up in the bay area and frequented the Exploratorium as a school kid. When my husband saw that place, he thought he was in heaven. We stayed there from opening until closing - taking a break for lunch somewhere else. I do love the science playground at OMSI as a mom though because it is in a contained area with doors (we tend to lose our daughter who is now a 4year old) and there is a lot of kid-only stuff to play with.

The only place I wouldn't recommend walking is on Burnside near the bridge and within about 8 blocks of the bridge. I am partial to the area just off of Burnside on NW 23rd Ave and also the area surrounding Pioneer Square. Saturday Market under Burnside is fun.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,970 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

One of my favorite Portland restaurants is Fenouil and it faces Jamison Park. You could have lunch outside at Fenouil then take the baby to play in the water in the park..there are grassy areas as well as the parts where the water is , a lot of area for a toddler to expend some energy :)

On the NorthEast side of town is Laurelhurst Park, just beatiful, with a small lake with ducks, an area for dogs to run offleash and what seems like miles of beautiful park to wander, walk and toddle.

You can definitely take the baby to Henrys and have lunch or dinner, big restaurant and very family friendly.

There is a place called Noodles on NW10th where you can have soup,spaghetti in different forms for lunch .. there is a restaurant on NW23rd called Miso Happy- Thai/Vietnamese and the best soups and noodle dishes. They love babies! And you will always see one or more at lunch time..

When the weather is fine , every restaurant in Portland tht is ableto, will put out tables and chairs out on the sidewalks, so you have a great choice of places to take babies..

Hope this helps :)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
53 posts
1 review
Save Reply
13. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

Very helpful, ScarlettO1 and everyone else. Sounds like Portland is a very toddler friendly place, unlike SF sometimes. We're looking forward to the visit ... and some warnth!

Hillsboro, Oregon
Level Contributor
171 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

There's a fun playground at the Washington Park Rose Garden. It's handicapped-accessible, and I also seem to remember there being some sort of fountain. It's been a number of years since my kids were small, but I remember them getting soaking wet!

You could check out the roses, and the wonderful view of the city, and your daughter could play. There's a train that runs between the Rose Garden and the Oregon Zoo, which is a fun ride for kids & adults!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

The rose gardens will be beautiful when you are here. But if your daughter is one who likes to pick the flowers, be careful as they have a $500 fine for that.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

I just spent the day at OMSI. As much as I love OMSI, with a toddler I would completely skip OMSI for now. The Body Worlds (I had the wrong name for it earlier) exhibit has taken over the entire upstairs and downstairs, so no area for young children. They did move one small part to another room, but it is not for the little ones. Basically except for the turbine room, the entire place is Body Worlds.

Now, if anyone wants a rundown of the Body Worlds exhibit...I HIGHLY recommend it !!!!! Truly fantastic!!!! Today was opening day and it was chuck full of middle and high school groups. I was there with an anatomy class and so it was perfect for these kids. I already know the rest of our family needs to go see this. OMSI does recommend that children under the age of 10 not go, so keep that in mind.

Oregon
Level Contributor
4,366 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

mtngrl, OMSI still has the "Science Playground" open upstairs for the little ones. You can easily miss it if you are there for the Body Worlds exhibit. We went to the Star Wars exhibit several months ago and it seemed to take up a lot of area but their little kids area is always there. It is a little spendy for the parents but kids under 3 are free.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,038 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

Oh, then yes we missed it:) Thanks for the info. They said they had closed/changed so much to make room for this exhibit as it was larger than the others they have had. Nice to know they still have some good stuff for the little ones:)

19. Re: Three days in Portland with toddler

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 01:18