We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Never Been to Portland

Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
1,454 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Never Been to Portland

Planning a Thursday to Monday in Portalnd, into Historic sites, Nature, Pubs/Bars, Mom and Pop type places, authentic, only in Portland type places to see and do(when in Rome..type of deal)..im a 39yo male , going with a 33 yo buddy.

Thanks!

Level Contributor
35,915 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Never Been to Portland

Don't miss Washington Park, there is a nice rose garden there and the Japanese Gardens area gorgeous. You may want to drive to Astoria, about 2 hours from Portland and see Fort Clatsop if you're into historic sites. Astoria is full of history and charm, I have a review with some photos of the fort on this site, it has recently been re-built after a fire destroyed it. Have fun on your travels! :)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Never Been to Portland

I will comment on the pubs/bars scene for you.

Definitely make it to one of the over 30 McMenamin's in Portland. They have decent food and beer although most long time PDX residents agree that the service is often mediocre at best. Maybe go to one of their movie theaters to eat and drink while watching a second run movie?

The Crystal Ballroom is a McMenamin's and it is a great venue for hearing some great music. Just google McMenamin's and they are on one of the first pages.

Here is a list of some of my most favorite low key pubs with outdoor seating:

New Old Lompoc on 23rd in NW

Produce Row in SE

Bridgeport Brewery in NW

North 45 in NW

Ron Tom's in SE

These are all good places to grab a bite and a local micro brew in a casual setting.

If you are looking for some more active nightlife you might consider:

Kell's

Thirsty Lion

Dante's (very smokey)

Aura

For great happy hour food menu:

McCormick's and Schmick's

Portland City Grill (best view in the city!)

Saucebox

Jake's Famous Crawfish

Wild Abandon

Jake's Grill

Brazen Bean (awesome martinis!)

As for historic sites, you might be interested in going through the USS Blueback Submarine located near OMSI. It is the U.S. Navy's last non-nuclear, fast attack submarine.

Another exhibit worth a stop is Body World at OMSI. I saw it in Germany and plan to go again in July. Very interesting!

That is a start for you!

Enjoy your visit!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Never Been to Portland

Great list by PDXwindjammer. McMenamins are great, and you might want to head out to their Edgefield property in Troutdale. You can check out all their places at www.mcmenamins.com and see what we are talking about. Portland City Grill is great for happy hour and the views, but skip dinner there. If you like to hike, you can do that in Forest Park right in town. From near the zoo, you can hike up to Pittock Mansion, which has some nice views. OMSI is great...I went to the Body Worlds exhibit last week and it was really interesting! The sub tour is good...my husband is a retired Submarine Officer and so can vouch that for the most part, the tour is accurate and good. You might want to check out Henry's 12st Street Tavern. Over 100 beers on tap, and in the bar area they have an ice trough to keep your drinks cold. Upstairs is a billiards room, with a bartender in there as well. Not what you normally think of as far as being a tavern...definitely much nicer. Not gourmet food, but it is very good.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Never Been to Portland

pdxwindjammer--I meant to mention...I have heard the same comment about service/McMenamins from Johann here on the board, but we have never had a problem. I haven't kept count of all the locations we have been, but we have always had really good service.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Never Been to Portland

I think I know where Mtngrl and PDXWindJammer have been spending their time! ;-) So, I won't add any more about beer. But, I could say something about Oregon's wine country!

Other "only in (around) Portland type places" that come to mind are Powell's Books, the largest independent bookstore in the universe, and, even though they're the touristy things to see, the Columbia River Gorge, and the Oregon Coast. Truly one of a kind places. If you do plan a day trip to the coast - only 90 minutes away - I'd suggest Cannon Beach and Ecola St. Park rather than Astoria.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Never Been to Portland

LOL mistletoe:)

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,761 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Never Been to Portland

Hiccup~hiccup! :-)

Nice additions to the list, Mtngrl and mistletoe. Henry's does have a great happy hour but it is a challenge to get a table. Well, I guess it is for any of the good ones.

Powell's is a given. Be prepared to spend hours in there! They have both new and used books and it is HUGE!

When will you be in town? There are a couple of great beer festivals coming up and the Waterfront Blues Festival is spectacular!

The Great Northwest
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Never Been to Portland

All great suggestions!

To the pub scene I would have to add Horsebrass (Mmm...steak and kidney pie with a pint). I've never been to the UK, but this is what I expect to see in a pub when I go. By husband always gets the bangers and mash - go for lunch because it's a little less busy = better service. Go for dinner or after and it's pretty busy, but still a great time.

McMenamins is uniquely Oregon. I recommend the Cornelius Pass Roadhouse, Ringlers (located in Downtown Portland), Bagdad Theater and Pub (watch a second run movie and have some pizza and beer!).

I definitely second a visit to the Columbia River Gorge for some great views and short hikes around all of the water falls. I didn't catch when your trip is scheduled, but earlier in the summer and the falls can still be pretty full.

OMSI (Oregon Museum of Science and Industry) is great, too.

There are some great scenic drives through the city, but if you want to venture out of the city into the hills and mountains, you have: the wine country, a drive around Mt. Hood (Start/end in Hood River around to Clackamas). and the Columbia River Gorge. Oh, if you want to venture a bit up into Washington, I highly recommend a visit up to Mt. St. Helens, but only if the weather is nice.

9. Re: Never Been to Portland

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 12:19