We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

Petaluma, California
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

Hi!

I have seen so many posts for wineries in the area and it is overwhelming. We are from the Sonoma area and love wine. All kinds, white, red, dry rose, sparkling, oh my! I only like to go to a max of about 3 wineries otherwise I find I can't taste anything after that (or I am just flat out drunk - no good ;)

Is there 2/3/4 must see. Best of the best. I prefer small family run. Funky is fun. Nothin snobby (wine is for drinking after all). Maybe three that are very different or specialize in different varietals.

Thanks in advance! And thanks to all the locals who post. All of the fabulous advice in this forum is much appreciated!

Cheers,

Irishkat

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

Highway 99W between Newberg and McMinnville runs through the heart of Oregon's wine country. Good thing the industry here can survive without a heart!

I think you should head to Carlton, specifically Winemaker's Studio, Cana's Feast, Penner Ash (okay, it's a few miles outside Carlton), and maybe Scott Paul. These will give you a good cross section of what's going on in Oregon. If you've still got room, have a bite to eat in Horse Radish, where they've got bottles you'll have trouble finding anywhere else.

If you do end up on highway 99W, it's hard to ignore Domaine Serene, Archery Summit, Domaine Drouhin, and last, but definitely not least (except for price), De Ponte. They're all on the same hillside, almost within spitting distance of eachother. Beware bottle sticker shock. If you're coming from Portland, stop at Chehalem, just east of Newberg.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

Listen to mistletoe as he has great rec's for you.

One that I really like that he has recommended several times, is Brick House.

A small, family one, that is fairly new and has really good pinot gris is Arbor Brook. They also have an excellent dessert wine (named after their daughter).

One thing that I always mention on the winery threads, and you probably have seen it before, is the tasting and driving. I live in Sherwood, which is right on the edge of this area, and drive down in this area several times a week. The police presence here is very heavy, and they really crack down on both drunk driving as well as speeding. So please be careful:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

Do you know if Arbor Brook has regular tasting hours, Mtngrl? Unfortunately Brick House tastes only by appointment (except for the two big holiday weekends).

If you're looking for boutique, taste-by-appointment-only places, irishkat, you'll get a different set of recommendations.

Level Contributor
35,211 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

Torii Mor is a fun, family run winery that we enjoyed. Very good Pinot Noir here and there are tables outside to enjoy your tastings. If you go to Carlton, don't miss the Scott Paul winery, he does a very nice Pinot Noir called "Audrey" that we enjoyed, there is also the Winermaker's Studio in Carlton that is fun. Have fun in the wine country! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

I guess I need to add that the reason I suggested to maybe stop at Scott Paul is that they long ago sold out of the Audrey vintage that you tasted when you visited... how long ago now, syrahgirl? And I'm almost positive they've sold out the next year's vintage too. Still, they make a solid mid-range pinot noir, but I'd look to Penner Ash and Andrew Rich at Winemaker's Studio for "reserve" bottlings.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,922 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

mistletoe, how lucky that you live so close to all those good wineries.

We were just talking about that today, the winery region of Buenos Aires is a plane ride away from us..and to think we just drove half an hour from Portland to Dundee etc :)

What year was that Audrey?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

Mistletoe--I am not sure, but I think Arbor Brook is by appt only as well.

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

What are the regulations for flying interstate with wine? Just pack it well? Will the local wineries in OR ship it down to CA? Trying to plan ahead...Thank you!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,973 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

You can fly with wine in your checked bags, but not carryon (the 3 oz rule). Most wineries do ship, and they can ship to CA, so you should be set.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
36 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Top 3 Wineries in the Newberg/McMinnville area?

My husband and I go wine tasting fairly frequently. We loved Archery Summit so much we joined their wine club. The setting is beautiful and there are a few others on the hill that also make great wines if you have the time -- Domaine Serene and Domaine Drouhin.

Just north of Newburg there's a small operation called Natalie's Estate which we love. Whenever we have friends visiting we always take them there. The wine is fantasic and Boyd, the winemaker, provides a very personal tasting experience in his home. Call to make an appointment.

We also frequent Cuneo and Tyrus Evans.

Enjoy your trip!

Jenny