We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

college visits

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
college visits

I am flying in to Portland with my daughter to visit Western Oregon Univ, George Fox Univ , U of Protland and Lewis & Clark. We were hoping to go down to SOU in Medford but that seems to be a full day's drive.

If we go to Portland to visit all of these campuses is it realistic to stay in the same place all 3 nights? If so, what area would you recommend? I will be renting a car and I see these are all up I-5.

Thank you for any help. I am hoping to go next Tues-Fri, so need last-minute availability.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: college visits

Yes you could stay at the same place and visit all the colleges(except SOU). I'd stay some place south of Portland-like Tualatin or Lake Oswego- so you won't have to deal with traffic(except getting to UofP). Tualatin is suburban, but sounds like your trip you'll be more interested in colleges than after dinner night life. There is a nice hotel right off I-5 in Tualatin, but I can't remember the name of it...

Medford would definetly be a full day's drive-its about 6 hours from portland.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: college visits

Chinook--It is the Century Hotel that is in Tualatin. It is a couple blocks off of I-5, to the west. The Sweetbriar, which was right at the exit, has been torn down and is now a Best Buy.

To visit WOU and GFU, you could easily stay in McMinnville which is centered between the two. Then you could UP and L&C by staying in Tualatin or nearby. Another option besides Tualatin, is an area of Lake Oswego that is right by the freeway. Lots of hotels right there as it is a corporate area. This is at the Kruse Way exit, which is only 3 exits north of Tualatin.

Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Bend
Level Contributor
1,632 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: college visits

If you have time be sure to check out the Willamette U and Linfield campuses as well. They are in the same general area!

I agree with the previous recommendation to stay in the south 'burbs if staying in one place all three nights is important. The traffic out of downtown & Beaverton can be very slow and frustrating.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: college visits

That's an interesting mix of schools. I have many friends who graduated from George Fox. My sister currently attends WOU and I am a very recent graduated of Willamette University. (Not that you need to know this though).

Yes, you could stay somewhere in the Portland Area. The Crowne Plaza at Lake Oswego is a pretty decent place.

Technically George Fox is accessible from I5. Oh if you have some extra time in the Newberg area, eat at Jim's for some DELICIOUS hamburgers. Yum, yum.

Western Oregon University, if you take I-5, is likely an 80-85 minute drive.

And yes, have your daughter check out Willamette University. If she is academically able to get in at Lewis and Clark, Willamette should be a shoe-in as well. I highly recommend it (unless she is going to be science major).

Any questions, let me know!!!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: college visits

Lisa--Do you mean Jem's? As you know, I am down there several times at least each week, and I keep looking for Jim's that you have mentioned. I have never found that, but did find a Jem's...on the main street heading south, but near where the road cuts off to Carlton. Is that it? I will be down that way again this afternoon. Sometimes I think I should just move down there for how much time I spend in Mac, lol!

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: college visits

Depends on your feelings about moving. If my daughter was making big decision of where to go to school, think I would tryu to stay close to campus, Monmouth and Newberg have decent motels, be nice to spend evening on campus and in town.

Less so for UP and L&C cause you can be part of larger city.

Curios why WIllamette and Linfieid not on your list when L&C is

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: college visits

Mtngrl,

***blush***, yes I do. I have no idea why I keep writing Jim's. LOL.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,079 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: college visits

Lisa--LOL, well that makes sense why I could never find it:) But now that I know, it might be dangerous. Thanks!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: college visits

I graduated from Linfield, so if you need recommendations for a place to stay in McMinnville, I suggest renting a house, it was the cheapest and the most relaxing by far for us. It was only $85 a night!

It is about 10 min from the school, but out away from the town.

Let me know if you want more information on it and I will dig it up ;).

Walnut Creek, CA
Level Contributor
350 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: college visits

Thank you for all of your input! We have added Linfield to our list, but not Willamette because they require 4 years of HS math and my daughter is taking Latin IV instead of math next year.

So far this is our schedule:

fly in 7/30 - stay somewhere in Portland

7/31 visit Lewis and Clark and U of Portland

travel towards Newberg - where to stay this night???

8/1 visit George Fox and WOU

Head towards Linnfield College - whre to stay near here?

8/2 visit Linnfield, go back to PDX, fly home @ 5pm.

SO I am graciously asking where to stay all 3 nights! We get in to PDX Monday at 5:30 and I will get a car and hopefully find a place to stay close enough to L & C to make it an easy am trip.

I want to stay close to each of the morning tours: therefore near George Fox the second night and Linnfield the third night.

Any suggestions?

Thank you!