We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What area should be our "home base"?

Winchester, Kentucky
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
What area should be our "home base"?

My husband and I are planning a week's trip to the Portland/Columbia River Gorge area next June to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We are trying to determine whether to stay a full week in Portland and take day trips from there, or to stay in Portland a few nights and stay somewhere like Bend for a few nights. We are interested in seeing the coast, but also want to explore the Gorge. We are mostly into sightseeing, but may be interested in some short trails to hike. My current thinking is to stay in Portland and see the city, but to take day trips to the coast, the gorge and Mt. Hood, and perhaps include the Bend area with that. Any suggestions?

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

Sounds like great fun.

I would head to Bend overnight instead of driving back.

Let me know what you are interested coast wise. :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

Gorge is fairly easy day trip from Portland

Coast is doable day trip from PDX, but I do not recommend. At least one night on coast gives you chance to see more of it.

Bend in my view not doable day trip from PDX. Most of day will be driving.

You can combine, spend two nights at coast and two at Bend, going direct between them. say Bend to Newport

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

Hi there and welcome to the travel forums! For your lodging in the Portland area, we love the Riverplace Hotel, down by the water. For the downtown area, the Heathman Hotel is very nice with lots of cool amenities, it is a Historic Hotel on the National Register with very good customer service, also. Let me know if you would dining recs for Portland. :)

I hope you're able to make it over to the coast for a couple of nights, Cannon Beach, Seaside and Gearhart are all great options for places to stay. They are all close together, so it would be easy to see all of these places in a couple of days. Ecola State Park is very pretty in Cannon Beach, a great place to spend some time relaxing, walking the trails around the ocean and taking in the scenery. Have a great trip and have fun with your research! :)

Winchester, Kentucky
Level Contributor
4 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

Rivergallery--

I looked at this web site: travelportland.com/visitors/…coast.html

Based on that information, I think we would enjoy Astoria, Three Capes Loop, and any place that we could see whales or dolphins or other creatures of the sea. Also we love fresh seafood.

Level Contributor
35,736 posts
903 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

There are many places in Astoria for great seafood. We like the Cannery Cafe which has gorgeous views of the Columbia River from the dining room, they also offer outdoor patio dining when the weather is nice. A great place to watch the ships, take in the scenery and relax. The have really great crab melts here.

For a little more fine dining venue, check out the Silver Salmon Grille in downtown Astoria. We have enjoyed many, many meals here over the years and have never been disappointed. We take guests here also, and they have all enjoyed it very much. Aside from the many different salmon entrees, Razor Clams, Halibut, and many other kinds of seafood are offered here. The clam chowder is also very good here as is the Creme Brulee. I have reviews of both of these places posted on this site.

Down by Pier 39 is the Rogue Public Ale House which also will give you beautiful views of the Columbia River, we enjoyed a very nice appetizer here one afternoon, the salmon cakes are great, they also offer different seafood items here.

For the best fish and chips in the area (we like the Halibut) go to the Ship Inn on 2nd Street. A very nice casual venue for seafood with excellent views of the Columbia River. The little riverfront trolley runs by this restaurant, you may want to hop on it and take a ride! :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

Even with a full week, you will really need to decide what exactly you want to see and do. I agree with the other locals..Bend is at least an overnight trip. Very much worth it too, IMO.

As far as trails to hike...what length and what elevation gain/loss do you want. I hate to send you up a mountain if you are looking for more of a walk in the woods.

The gorge and Mt. Hood can easily be combined and is an easy day trip from here.

Syrah--Maybe we can help you too with dining recommendations:)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

I think that the idea of staying in Portland, as your base and taking day trips is the best.

When we first visited Portland, we wanted to see everything, but also enjoy the City..we stayed at the Monaco Portland ( it was the 5th Ave Suites then) and we rented a car for 2 days.

It is 90 minutes from downtown to the Coast/Cannon Beach.

It is 30-40 min to the Gorge by way of the Historic Highway and a fast drive back on I-84..stopping at the Womens Forum and Vista House to take photos...be prepared for lots of photo taking! :)

I will include my GoLists here, with a good selection of different hotels for different tastes and budgets..

And some other lists in case you want more info on the Gardens etc..for your in town sightseeing..

Happy Anniversary!!

( Be prepared for cool and damp weather in June..summer really doesn't hit until around the 5th of July lol)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i966-Gardens_in…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

syrahgirl, I will be happy to post my GoLIst for restaurants if you want to see them...just let me know :)

And hotels too, maybe next year when you visit Portland, you can stay overnight...

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,002 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

Mtngrl, didn't you just do the Three Capes Loop ?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,069 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What area should be our "home base"?

Scarlett--Yes, we did the loop on Friday. It had been a long time since we did it, and it was a perfect day at the beach! We left the house with no set plans except to hit the beach somewhere. Perfect day!