We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Burbank, California
5 posts
Save Topic
cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Hi,

We are looking for a hotel with easy public transportation/ walking access to downtown, northeast, and other cool areas.

The Kennedy School and Ace looked great but are booked up, any advice on the Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express downtown, or recommendations for another good place around $100 a night?

Thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Between the two, I'd pick the Portland Inn, which has a MUCH better location than Holiday Inn Express. If you'd prefer hip, and it fits the budget, consider the Jupiter Hotel: http://jupiterhotel.com/.

Burbank, California
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Thanks! So downtown > Nob Hill? (just wanted to make sure you were thinking of the Holiday Inn express near 23rd, not the Holiday Inn by the convention center).

The Jupiter just looks too loud for me....I wish I was as hip as I used to be.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Yeah, in this case, I think downtown is better. Streets in the NW part of town (Nob Hill, as it's apparently referred to in tourism brochures) are named alphabetically. So, Vaughn, where the Holiday Inn is located, is at least 8 blocks from Northrup, where the streetcar runs. Portland Inn, on the other hand, is an easy walk into downtown core, and just 3-4 blocks from the streetcar.

You might also check out the Mark Spencer, also close to the streetcar, and an easy walk to downtown core or the Pear District.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Umm, that should be Pearl District.

Level Contributor
36,361 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Check out the Inn at Northrup Station, the rates are higher in the summer, when are you coming to Portland? I've seen rates around a hundred dollars a night on off-season. It's a cool little hotel in the Nob Hill area of Portland. Walking distance to two great restaurants, Paley's Place and Wildwood. Enjoy your trip.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Syrah--I think we must have missed your trip review on the Northrup. I do hope you join us for a GTG when you visit. Then we can show you some local places:)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

I would never recommend the Holiday Inn in NW and know nothing about the Portland Inn...but do agree with the suggestion of trying the Mark Spencer.

I know where it is and the neighborhood, I lived a couple of blocks away and it is a great location..friends have stayed there and were very happy and I do know it is a good price.

syrahgirl..that day you drove by the Inn at Northrup Station and took photos was quite a while ago, no? Have you been there since?

Friends of mine stayed there one night, they were happy with it but it was a bit over $100 a night..but that might be because of the time of year etc..

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

I thought about Northrup Station too, but you're probably looking at $140 or more/night. Friends who've stayed there describe it as "retro '70's funky" but they still liked it. And it is convenient to the shops and restaurants along NW 21st & 23rd, and the Pearl District.

Burbank, California
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

Thanks all, please keep suggestions coming! We are coming next weekend, and sadly, most of the places you recommend are booked up. I'll keep an eye open for cancellations, and for now, go with the Portland Inn.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: cheapish hotel: Portland Inn vs. Holiday Inn Express?

I'm a little surprised nobody has mentioned trying Priceline yet...

There's still a chance you could score a good room in downtown for under $100...

B