We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for Portland Trip

New Jersey
Level Contributor
12 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
Suggestions for Portland Trip

Hi everyone! My husband is going to be in portland on business for a week November so my three month old son and I will be together during the days when he is at work. I dont want to be cooped up in the hotel, so I am looking for suggestions of things to do in and around Portland, including any daytrips you would recommend. My son is great in the car and is a good traveler so I am hopeful he will be a good parnter in my exploring! Also any good hotel suggestions would be appreciated that are family friendly. This is our first "vacation" with our son so any advice we would appreciate. Thanks so much!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

I'll top the thread for ya, but I don't know if I can be of much help, Sunshine (ironic that you would choose that handle when inquiring about a visit to Oregon in November). ;-)

Most often recommended daytrips from Portland are the coast, 90 minutes away, Columbia River gorge, 30-45 minutes away, and maybe wine country, 45 minutes away. But with the weather we're likely to have in November, you might not find any of those particularly enjoyable with a little one in tow. Same is true of mostly outdoor activities in Portland. People generally move indoors this time of year: Powell's Books, Portland Art Museum, OMSI, coffee shops, restaurants, shopping......

Suggest you consider Marriott's Residence Inn at Riverplace. Not the greatest location, but convenient to the streetcar, which takes you through some of the city's hottest shopping and dining districts. And it's got an indoor pool.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

A three month old might not appreciate some of the beauty of Portland, but will certainly appreciate being with you.

I agree about the Residence Inn. Good place to stay. Other less expensive options exist depending on how much space you need.

If you are renting a car Enterprise is pretty good. Be sure to include carseat for child.

I live in Portland and usually walk or take the streetcar to everywhere I go.

Have a wonderful visit!

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,892 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

If you have any interest in aviation, you might want to drive to McMinnville to see the Spruce Goose ..... also there is the Museum of the Oregon Territory in Oregon City. If the weather is nice, the Gorge & Multnomah Falls is a nice drive.

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

Oregon City is awesome!! :)

There are alot more museums to visit here, don't know you your happy traveler would be ok with history, museums and the like. http://www.el.com/to/oregoncity/

You might like a trip on the only city owned elevator- Oregon City Municipal Elevator aka 7th street. :) Its free and you can get good views of the Willamette Falls(good views also available at the Museum of the OR Territory-which is actually a pretty interesting museum for being a little on the small side).

Also of interest in the SE metro area Phillip Foster Farm

http://www.philipfosterfarm.com/id12.html

Enjoy!

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

I hope your baby is still a good traveler by the time you come!

Here are some fun very Portland places that make a mama and babe feel pretty welcome

The Sip and Krantz coffee shop near Jamison Square

Tour de Crepes on Alberta, in the northeast part of town

The Laurelwood Brewing Company on Sandy, also in northeast (not sure if you're breastfeeding or drink, but they have great beer) (This place is very popular with families, but mostly because they have a play area for older kids. But no matter how loud your little one cries, no one will be able to hear him)

Old Wives Tales on Sandy

Several wonderful breakfast-y places, including Utopia on SE Belmont, the Original Pancake House on the west side (good food but loooong wait, so we almost never go here) and Bijou in Old Town.

If you are on your own on the weekend, it is fun to go to the Saturday market, which runs both saturdays and sundays under the burnside bridge. (downtown) It's also nice to go to the farmers market in the south park blocks on Saturdays. (also downtown)

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

And if you are still shopping for baby, you might enjoy good local shops such as Child's play on northwest 23rd, polliwog on Belmont, child at heart on hawthorne, hanna andersson in the pearl.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

There is the Children's Art Museum, and there is a Children's Theater Company doing shows every Fri and Saturday with matinées that might be fun.

If not raining the Zoo here is wonderful.

These addition to the ones already mentioned.

There are also some great places to eat for kids in Portland, I just got a list in my Cookie magazine.. but it is organized by location.

There is also Old Wives Tales which has lots of vegan and vegetarian options, and lots of organic fresh ingredients.. we just went there last week. They have a wonderful kids play area. They have a website also so just google :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

Cattrav- opps I just now notice you recommended the Old Wives Tales.. someone recommended it to me for my concert trip and it was right one. Thanks.

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

Oh good! I'm so glad you liked it.

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Suggestions for Portland Trip

And if you are here early in the week, the Kennedy School has a theater that offers Mommy Matinees (I think on Monday or Tuesdays) where crying babies are expected and welcome. Real food is available in their movie theaters, so that might be a nice break for you.