We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland Streetcar

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Portland Streetcar

We'll spend our last 2 nights in downtown Portland next June. I want something on the streetcar line and am looking at the Inn @ Northrup. It gets good reviews on TA and participates in the Portland Big Deal. Any comments?

The first day we'll do downtown Portland, including the tram. I'm still working on that. Suggestions?

The second day we'll do Columbia River Gorge/Mt. Hood. That's pretty much settled.

We'll spend the last night at an airport motel as our flight leaves very early. Any recommendations?

Thanks, all.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland Streetcar

Friends who've stayed at Northrup Station describe it as '70's chic, whatever that means. They loved it though, so I guess that says something! Couple great restaurants nearby too: Wildwood and Paley's Place. You should know though, that it's sort of on the periphery of downtown. It's a short walk to NW 21st & 23rd - great shopping and dining streets - and a bit further to the trendy Pearl District, but you'd want to take the streetcar into downtown core.

June is the start of peak rose blooming season, so if that's of interest, visit the International Rose Test Gardens in Washington Park. Nice city views from up there, too. Japanese Gardens are across the street, and also well worth a visit. Powell's Books is something else unique to Portland; largest independent bookstore on the planet. If you're here on a weekend, Saturday Market or Portland Farmer's Market might also be of interest.

Have to ask; what about the tram interests you? You may not be aware that it's primarily used to transport doctors, students, and patients between facilities of Oregon Health Sciences University.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland Streetcar

I think that huge tram tower is Portland's answer to Space Needles. It has replaced the pink building as downtown PDX most prominent structure

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland Streetcar

The Inn at Northrup Station is cute and being right on the Streetcar line, is very convenient!

You can enjoy NW 21st street and all the restaurants as well as NW 23rd and all the restaurants and shops. If you have stamina, you can walk 23rd to the Rose Gardens..it is not hard at all.

I cannot understand the interest in the Tram except that it was promoted in the beginning as having such a great view and they wanted people to use it to get to the Hospital rather than driving .. so now we have visitors thinking of it as a ride to see the view.

It is a ride with a view but the ride ends at a Hospital.

The ride is taken with Hospital staff and patients.

We had to go to the hospital for tests and I have to say , if anyone dislikes being around hospitals the way I do, you won't think the view is worth the ride.

But that might just be me.

You can go to Pittock Mansion and see amazing views from the grounds , you can see the view from the Rose Gardens and Japanese Gardens also.

Or go to the top of the BankCorp Bldg to the Portland City Grill, have a drink and see the view .. this is the Big Pink buiding in town..you don't want to eat there but a snack or a drink will give you time to enjoy the view. Have good food somewhere else :)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland Streetcar

Great suggestions, all! We'll be in Portland June 9-11.

Almost every piece of info I've received from Portland mentions the view from the tram. What do I know! Gullible, me, I believed the hype. (I'm very familiar with hospitals, so I don't think I need to visit one on my vacation!) The other suggestions for views of THE mountain are most welcome. There are photos in those publications taken somewhere in downtown Portland with a view of Mt. Hood, but they never say from where they've been taken.

Unfortunately, my walking ability is somewhat compromised. That is why I wanted to be on the streetcar line. I have pretty detailed maps of the downtown area, the streetcar route, and attractions and will plan accordingly.

Glad to hear that the Inn @ Northrup is '70's chic. I'll fit right in!

If you think of anything else, I'm all ears.

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland Streetcar

Foe me best view of Mt Hood is from Rose Gardend overlooking cit In June even better wirh roses in bloom. May well be view you saw it is often out there. That is classic Portland

Gorge is excellent choice for a day.c

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,150 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland Streetcar

LOL...the tram:) Quite the controversial item. My DH has taken it a few times, and was very annoying with people that were well, not very respectful of the other people on it heading to the hospital. Then there is a friend of mine who works at OHSU. She is normally pretty quiet, but not when it comes to this.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland Streetcar

This is one of my photos from the grounds of the Pittock Mansion..

…tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/00/15/7a/f7/t…

I sounded too intense about the Tram. .. I am sorry :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,123 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland Streetcar

OK so we seem to be unable to link our photos posted on TA..or can someone show me how ? lol

Taxis are cheap in town ..

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland Streetcar

Yes- the Rose Test Gardens are where the 'classic' portland pictures are from. It might be worth your while to spend some time up there walking around(actually Washington Park) if interested.

Powells is a definete must! Even if you're not a big book fan, its pretty impressive anyways-especially considering this was around way before the 'big box' book stores.

You might also like the Hawthorne District on the 'east side' of the river. Kind of a bohemian area with lots of shops, Bagdad Theater, etc.

Pennsylvania
Level Contributor
78 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland Streetcar

Looks like there's a MAX Light Rail stop at the Central Library. If we took the streetcar there, could we get on the MAX to Washington Park? When we get to the park, is there any type of transportation within the park to get from place to place? If it's all walking, I wouldn't be able to do it. We could drive there. I guess you can take your car in and out of the hotel parking.

I'm amazed that you can see Mt. Hood from there.

Powell's is definitely on my list. Also the Ecotrust.