We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lunch spots near Convention Center?

New England
4 posts
Save Topic
Lunch spots near Convention Center?

Hello!

I will be at the Convention Center for, believe it or not, a convention : ).

Are there any good places to eat lunch within walking distance? (Ethnic is nice, good grills, etc. also nice - I don't like "fast food" and am not very fond of the chain-style places.)

Thanks so much for any help you can offer!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lunch spots near Convention Center?

Believe it or not, there's not much in the neighboring blocks around the OCC (besides fast food/chains). I suggest you hop on a MAX train (free - Fareless Square) and take the 5-10 minute ride to downtown Portland. Get off at SW 1st/Oak stop and have lunch at Mother's (2nd/Stark), open daily except Monday. Al-Amir (Lebanese) and E-San (Thai) are both good, too, and within a block of the same stop. Portland Steak & Chophouse is a bit fancier and located off the lobby of the downtown Embassy Suites - roghly 2 blocks from either the Skidmore Fountain or SW 1st/Oak MAX stop.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Mentioned in this post
USA
Level Contributor
721 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lunch spots near Convention Center?

There is lots of unappealing food near the Convention Center. If your time for lunch is short and you want to stay within walking distance, there are only two suggestions I would make. One is a restaurant called Burgerville, that is very near the convention center. It is a small, locally based chain that serves "fast food" in a way that a lot of people find more appealing than the regular stuff. Their food sources are local, from their beef to the cheese on their cheese burgers to the sweet potatoes in the sweet potato fries they serve in the fall. Their milkshakes are made with real milk, from local products, and they are seasonal - berry shakes during Oregon's famous raspberry and strawberry seasons, pumpkin shakes during the fall, hazelnut shakes over the winter. It is the only "fast food" place that the author of Fast Food Nation will eat at, he says. They offer healthy and vegetarian options along with a sort of improved version of normal fast food - recently they were offering - testing? - an all beef hot dog with no preservatives, from animals raised without antibiotics and hormones. This place is a local institution.

The other thing I'd try is a bakery called Ararat that I've only seen while driving by. I understand it is a bakery by day and some sort of disco by night. I'm very curious about it - maybe someone else can give you more information?

If you have time and are up for a stiff walk - or a quick cab ride - - you might try crossing the bridge over I-84 and hitting the trendy-fying area near the Jupiter Hotel and the Doug Fir Lounge on East Burnside.

Mentioned in this post
Jupiter Hotel
Jupiter Hotel
581 Reviews
Portland, OR
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
178 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lunch spots near Convention Center?

Speaking of across the I-84 bridge... just down a block or so from Doug Fir is The Farm. I'm not sure if it's open for lunch, but it's certainly worth a meal. It emphasizes fresh locally grown products (organic when possible) and not-restaurant-sized portions (perhaps a little smaller than you might be used to). They have probably rotated their menu since my last visit, so I can't recommend any dishes.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,992 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lunch spots near Convention Center?

There is one restaurant right across the street from the Convention Center, on MLK and Lloyd....American Cowgirl. I have not eaten there, so I can not speak for their menu, I just know that it's there ;-)

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lunch spots near Convention Center?

What about Stanfords near the Lloyd Center Mall? It is kind of a local 'grill' chain, very good but kind of pricey. If you've never been to Burgerville and want something a little less expensive- I'd go there. Their milkshakes are pretty darn good... Dont know if you'll be there soon, but I know the chocolate hazelnut milkshake(made w/ real oregon hazelnuts!) is coming out soon. I wait all year for that shake...mmmm

Mentioned in this post
Lloyd Center
Lloyd Center
114 Reviews
Portland, OR
6. Re: Lunch spots near Convention Center?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 September 2009, 02:17