We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving Portland to Seattle next week

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
157 reviews
Save Topic
Driving Portland to Seattle next week

I have tickets to fly out to Portland on Christmas Eve to see my sister in Astoria, and had planned to drive up to Seattle, and possibly to Vancouver for a few days. I've read that the roads are still partially shut down because of storm damage.

What is the feasibility of making this drive?

Should I just scratch it and spend the week in the Portland and Astoria area? Is there enough to see and do for a week's visit?

Thanks for the advice!

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

I'm driving from Eugene to Seattle on Friday, returning Christmas Day and I-5 is open all the way, I believe.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,958 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

As far as I have seen on the Portland news stations, I-5 is open all the way north. You might want to ask on the Washington forum also.

As far as having enough to see and do in Portland and Astoria, though ... what do you like to do? Portland has many, many attractions of all types, and Astoria has a fair amount to see as well.

You could also take drives along the coast if there are some not-too-rainy days!

Oh, I just read that you are considering Vancouver. Keep in mind that the border crossing may take as much as an hour or more. The British Columbia forum has this question pop up often, and sometimes they say as much as two hours, depending upon the traffic.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

" Is there enough to see and do for a week's visit?"

You jest, surely... check the Portland and Astoria Attractions tab in the left column or at the top of this page.

The roads are open. However, it is winter, and there could be snow, but it tends to be minimal and quickly cleared on the main roads.

I'm unclear about your travel itinerary. You say fly into Astoria from Portland, but when and where do you get your car? And how long do you have? Your answers will help get better responses.

Eugene, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Eugene, Springfield
Level Contributor
8,340 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/

Here's the website for road/traffic conditions in Washington State. The weather forecast for the next 10 days in the Portland to Seattle stretch is rain, rain, showers, rain and rain (in other words, typical Pacific Northwest winter weather). Of course, there will also be snow in the mountains, but you probably won't have to deal with that between Portland and Seattle.

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

Sorry, I misread "out to" for "out of" in your first sentence. You can check with this website for road conditions during your trip: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

Sorry, I misread "out to" for "out of" in your first sentence. You can check with this website for road conditions during your trip: http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/

oregon city
Level Contributor
790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

Just drove I-5 from Portland to Tacoma back and forth(!) this weekend for an early family Christmas. I-5 was just fine-although the speed limit is 50mph in the streach that was flooded. The only real noticable issue is seeing the debris line along the road and offramps and of course all the poor souls ripping off insulation, siding on their nearby houses...

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

4hersheybear - From Portland to Astoria on Hwy 30 along the Columbia River is open one lane only with a pilot car, expect fdelays. However Hwy. 26 from Portland to Seaside is open and you can drive north to Astoria on Hwy 101. There is a bridge across the Columbia from Astoria to Washington but I don't know how the Washington roads are from the coast inland. I also understand I-5 is open.

Nice avatar Voyaging, recent trip?

Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,004 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

Hi Tyr52. Taken either this or last year, Cannon Beach. These photos are so small, they are hard to see; this one works. I had used a Wood Duck photo, but it was barely visible.

Fort Myers, FL
Level Contributor
14 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Driving Portland to Seattle next week

Thanks so much for your feedback.

I'm flying to Portland on Xmas Eve, had originally planned to spend the 24th and 25th w/ my sis and her kids, then drive up to Seattle and hopefully into Vancouver for a day or two at each site.

I've been out to Astoria several times -although always during the summer/fall months- and have hit the major tourist attractions around there. I spent a little time in Portland (mostly at Potter's Books - AMAZING!).

I've done some searching on this site for highlights of Portland - any other "best of" recommendations in the city?