We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, my husband and I are visiting Portland next week so we can feel what Portland is "all about", so if you have any suggestion on museums, parks to go to, cool places to eat, we so much appreciate it!

We understand 2 days is not enough but if you could assist me to make the best and the most of it....

Thank you very much!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,822 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

When you decided to go to Portland, was there anything that you wanted to see? Have you read up on Portland in guide books or anything?

Hard to think of where to begin...what is Portland all about in 2 days..hmmmm.

What made you think of Portland..what appealed to you?http://www.tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i729-Portland_Oregon_Rain_or_Shine.html

Portland is full of parks.

Laurelhurst, Forest Park, Washington Park, North Park Blocks, South Park Blocks, Couch Park....and more.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i966-Gardens_in…

Museums are OMSI and the Portland Art Museum..

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i972-Portland_M…

There are many many fabulous and cool places to eat.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1394-Portland_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1395-Portland_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1398-Portland_…

Do you have a budget? Will you be staying in downtown Portland?

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much for taking the time.....

We will be staying on Southwest Morrison Street and one day we will be walking and the other day we will have a car to drive around.... I checked some gardens out but it will be rainning those days... but we will probably go to the Chinese Garden.

I prefer cool spots, not fancy but "real". I would like to go to a brewery, a music place, a good restaurant...

I will keep the search too... however thank you for the support!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

You might like a visit to the funky Laurelthirst Tavern on SE 28th and Glisan for some indie music. Happy Hour 6 - 8 all days with no cover and a tip jar.

If I am reading you right you might like lunch at Piazza Italia, in The Pearl. Excellent food, good wine.

I'd head up to Washington Park on a car day and if weather permits, also drive up I-84 to Hood River for lunch. The Columbia Gorge is a site to behold.

The Portland Art Museum is well worth a visit.

If I can help you more, let me know.

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

GREATTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!! Loved the ideas! Thank you!

Green Valley...
Destination Expert
for Yellowstone National Park, Seattle
Level Contributor
18,001 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

The Japanese Gardens are not to be missed.

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

Brewery: The Laurelwood has really really good beer: http://www.laurelwoodbrewpub.com/ It is extremely family friendly, so perhaps not always the coolest youngest hangout. You can also find a lot of true Portland at the Lucky Lab - brewpub with special patio where they encourage you to bring your dog -this one seems quite beloved by some of the folks in the climbing/mountaineering community.

Music: The Doug Fir is relatively new and has a high cool factor. http://www.dougfirlounge.com/ The Aladdin has lots of good indie music - their lineup often includes fairly well known folks

http://www.aladdin-theater.com/ Not sure when you're coming but Mary Gauthier here on the 6th. Berbati's Pan is pretty well known http://www.berbati.com/

What Portland is all about: We have a great international film fest every year that starts this weekend. Portland is one of the best cities outside New York and LA for seeing interesting independent film, and lots of people go to this: www.nwfilm.org/archives/piff/31/index.php

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

And Powells. http://www.powells.com/ It rains, we read.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,822 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

You can get on the streetcar on 10th street..it does a Loop of the city/downtown..you won't need a car, if it rains it won't matter. Rain in Portland is not usually downpour but just misty/damp..we used an umbrella maybe twice while living there..

Chinese Gardens are nice, small and right in town, the Japanese Gardens are soooo much more beautiful! larger, an amazing view from up there .. no matter what time of year, they are the best.

I agree with Mamababoo...Piazza Italia..I would love to be having dinner there tonight lol..it is like sitting in a small locals restaurant in Italy, Italian tv , waiters and owners speaking Italian and the food is excellent!

On the Westside I guess the Bridgeport Brewery and Rogue are good..Laurelwood on the Eastside which would require transportation.

A music place - Jimmy Maks .. live jazz at night

www.jimmymaks.com

Good restauarant..that is not hard, Portland has sooo many!

My favorites in no particular order..

Fenouil - French-beautiful-romantic

Silk - Vietnamese, pho, fantastic

Everett St Bistro- good neighborhood bistro

(bluehour) mostly for lunch/drinks/happy hour-they tend to lean towards the precious/pretentious when dinner time comes along ( which appeals to some visitors but no me lol )

SouthPark-excellent seafood (downtown near where you will be staying ( I think)

Typhoon on Broadway-my favorite Thai in Portland

Serratto - NW21st

Mingo- NW21st..

BEST Art House Cinema- Cinema 21 on NW21st

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,822 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

Day out of town :

Get going early in the am- drive to either Cannon Beach (90 min from downtown Portland ) see the countryside/forests/arrive at the Coast..wander, eat at Mo's on the beach or Gower St Bistro..home before dark

Get going early and 30-45 minutes from downtown is the Gorge, the Historic Highway with views that are amazing, drive by all the waterfalls, stop at any you want to see closer, home on I-84 in time to shop and have a nice dinner..

Washington Park is beautiful and so is Forest Park but with your very short amount of time, you might be fine with the drive to the Gorge and stick to the city/Japanese Gardens..

Hope this helps..( it certainly helped make me homesick! ) lol

Sao Paulo, SP
Level Contributor
23 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland in 2 days!!!!!!!!!!!

You are all great!!!!!!!!!!! Again, no thanks are enough!

I really appreciate it!!! I already get the vibe of the Portland people....