We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

downtown for an overnight

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
downtown for an overnight

I appreciate everyone's previous input regarding our late June motel/camp trip. We will be spending one night in Portland - 2 sort of, if you count the nearby first night in Hood River. Since we're spending the remainder of the trip camping and rather rustic, we thought one night in downtown, with a nice dinner and perhaps within walking distance to some evening diversions or shopping would be nice. This would be on Tuesday June 24. What would your suggestions be for a room - say up to maybe $150, a view is a plus - a moderately priced dinner, not too dressy (we're fairly adventuresome), and something interesting to do afterwards, hopefully within walking distance?

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: downtown for an overnight

One more thing, we will have an Odyssey full of camping gear, etc. so we need a relatively secure overnight place to park. It isn't overheight, and will fit into underground garages.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: downtown for an overnight

Downtown Portland with secure parking..I don't know where you would park if you cannot park in a hotel lot..that will take some research. There are SmartPark lots all over town, but not sure about security.

Here is my list of hotels..

You might love the Inn at Northrup Station..and they ( I seem to remember) have a parking area where you can see the car)...

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

On NW21st are a lot of great places to eat.. Mingo for pasta, Serratto for really good Italian..Wildwood for just good food ..

Over in the Pearl .. Silk for Vietnamese, Henrys Tavern & Grill for good food plus a gazillion different beers on tap ( oh alright, 100 beers on tap)

.. You can have dinner at a lot of places outside if the weather is agreeable..

Typhoon downtown..on Broadway- great Thai.

Mama Mia on 2nd.. Italian...bordello style decor, very good food, haunted basement :)

Hope this helps get you started..

Oh .. after dinner...Portland is a perfect city for walking..short blocks, plenty of windows to look in, architecture, great people watching. Go to the Pearl District..browse through Powells, just wander..it is entertaining.

If your feet get tired, take the Streetcar.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1396-Portland_…

San Francisco, CA
Level Contributor
204 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: downtown for an overnight

Scarlett, thanks for the great info. Regarding the car, I had hoped we would stay someplace with either underground/indoor parking, or a patrolled lot. We'll have a lot of stuff with us, for our 11 day road trip.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: downtown for an overnight

If you bid $85 for a 4* on priceline right now, you'll most likely end up with the Westin, which is a nice (and new) downtown hotel. They have an underground lot.

Even cheaper, bid $60 on a 3*. You'll end up at the Hilton, which is a great place. Just don't eat there.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: downtown for an overnight

The Monaco has an underground lot..but you said that you cannot fit in underground parking?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: downtown for an overnight

I would not recommend parking overnight in a Smart Park....1) I don't think they allow it 2) they are sooo not secure.

You could check out Hotel Vintage Plaza. They would have valet parking. You said that the vehicle will fit in an underground lot, so it should fit in theirs. I would definately call them, before booking, to make sure.

The rooms are great, the ambiance is cozy. Their restaurant (Pazzo) is not one of my favorites, although breakfast is really good. The Ciabatta French Toast and Sausage...to die for.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: downtown for an overnight

Great list of restaurants listed so far....I'd like to add Masu, if you like Sushi. I would LOVE to post my exact words on how fabulous I think their food is, but it would violate TOS on almost all servers. ;-)

Bellingham...
Level Contributor
279 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: downtown for an overnight

"If you bid $85 for a 4* on priceline right now, you'll most likely end up with the Westin, which is a nice (and new) downtown hotel. They have an underground lot."

Anyone have experience with this bid? I am planning on the Westin, they have a non-refundable deal for a King Jr Suite @ 127/night. No problems with that price, but if I can get a regular king room for 85, id go for that. But i dont want to get a room on the 2nd floor next the elevator because i booked with priceline

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: downtown for an overnight

Fad3d, you could ask cody321 at the biddingfortravel forums after he or she stays there on March 6th. I got the Benson last time for $60 on priceline and got what I thought was a great room.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,924 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: downtown for an overnight

Yes, Both Kimpton Hotels,,the Monaco and the Vintage Plaza have valet parking. The Monaco is underneath the hotel, you take an elevator up to the lobby..perfect in wet weather.