We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

southern oregon
10 posts
Save Topic
Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

Hi folks,

My friend and I are heading to the Rose Garden for a concert in August. This will be our first time in Portland. We will be staying for 2 or 3 days.

I really hate driving in cities, so is there a good hotel by the Rose Garden, so we can just park there and walk to the Rose Garden and take the MAX into the city to explore? I read that other folks mentioned that Rose Garden/Convention Center is perhaps not such a great area. We are two women, so I want to feel comfortable.

I am open to staying at a nice hotel in the city, I just not so sure about driving around downtown trying to find places. Seems like something by the Rose Garden is pretty much right off the highway. Looking to spend perhaps $100 a night or less.

Any helpful hints are much appreciated, thanks!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

Why not use Priceline for a nice hotel in the city, and take MAX to the Rose Garden. If you're not comfortable driving in downtown Portland, park the car, and use MAX/streetcar/bus. But I suspect that you'll find Portland an easy city to walk or drive, and won't give it a second thought if you decide you want to use the car to get somewhere.

southern oregon
10 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

Thanks for the suggestion, mistletoe.

I did pop on over to Priceline and notice that you can just offer a price for an area(downtown), not a specific hotel. Is it likely I would come up with something totally bizarre, or would any place they suggested be ok? I have never used Priceline before.

Seattle
Level Contributor
46 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

I just used Priceline for the first time for my Portland trip next month. I was nervous about using it for the first time, but I ended up getting the Westin for $86. You're right, you can't choose which hotel, but you can pick your category of hotel. So, if you choose a 4-star hotel, you pretty much can't go wrong. Most of the time, people get the Benson Hotel, which I've heard is nice.

Level Contributor
36,944 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

I think all of the hotels that I've seen in downtown Portland look very nice. (4-star) We recentloy had lunch at the Benson, it is very elegant. I would love to stay here sometime. The Rose Gardens are beautiful, I hope you enjoy your time in Portland! :)

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

I personally would not stay in the Rose Garden Area. It can be a litle scary. I would recommend staying in the downtown area and taking the MAX over to the Rose Garden (or even a Taxi). There is more eating within walking distance as well.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

Just FYI syrahgirl - The Rose Garden to which chantgirl refers is the arena where the Trailblazers play, not the garden in Washington Park. Was it brunch you had at the London Grill? It is very, very good.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

The Embassy Suites Downtown is a lovely hotel within walking distance of City Center and The Pearl. Check the website for parking options. You can walk a couple of blocks to take a bus to the Rose Garden, take a cab for less than $10 or walk over the bridge in the early evening to the Rose Garden and take a cab back to the hotel after sunset. Other west side hotels are options - Vintage Plaza, The Benson, The Heathman. I would not recommend staying close to the Rose Garden. There is not much to do in the daytime other than the Lloyd Center mall, and it is not an interesting or safe area to walk around in at night.

Level Contributor
36,944 posts
946 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

mamababoo, have you ever had lunch at the Heathman? I would like to try it on our visit to Portland soon. :)

southern oregon
10 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

I appreciate everyone's advice, thank you.

It pretty much seems the consensus is to get a hotel downtown and just take a taxi or the MAX to the Rose Garden Arena. I got back-up reservations(before I posted this thread) at the Inn at the Convention Center because it was close to the Arena. But if it isn't safe to walk the 4 blocks to the Arena at night, I don't want to stay there.

I will check into Priceline and see what I get. :) What hotels might I get if I checked the downtown area and the 3star option, I wonder?

Anyway, thanks again for all the help folks. I am looking forward to my visit. My friend says it's one of the most beautiful cities she has seen.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Heading to the Rose Garden....good hotel?

chant---personally, I would check the 4 star option. I did that and ended up at the Benson. Way cool. 65 dollars a night and you are in a great hotel.