We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

KBW
Milwaukee WI
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

My husband and I are flying into Seattle on a Saturday in August for a cousin's wedding. We decided to stay through the following Wednesday and want to travel down to the Portland area. We know we want to see Portland itself but are curious to know about some other sites to see along the way. One thing I've read about is Columbia River Gorge - not sure if this is something you can spend a day doing? Mount St. Helens is also something I've thought about. We are very active people in our late 30's with no kids. Any advice on routes, where to stay, what to do would be greatly appreciated!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,038 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

Yes, you can spend a day at the Gorge. Take a picnic..see all the falls, take your time, take a gazillion photographs and take the little hikes along some of the falls..stop along the way at Vista House and the Womens Forum for ooohing and aaahing over views.

Mt St Helens is a day too...

I will post my hotel list here...but book soon as possible. Summer is high season for hotels and visitors..festivals and good weather make Portland a perfect summer trip...my poor son has to be there at the end of June and hotels are about booked already..so work fast on that :)

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

You might like staying at Skamania Lodge for a night, then traveling on down to Multnomah Falls for a light hike and then into Portland for dinner at

Fenouil and a night at the Inn at Northrup Station. The location of this Inn will give you easy access to Forest Park, a wonderful playground for nature lovers and hikers.

USA
Level Contributor
719 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

If you want to stay in the gorge you could try the Viewpoint Inn, up above Crown Point on the historic highway. They have just a few bed and breakfast rooms in there, and a fancy restaurant. Bit spendy, but amazing view. www.theviewpointinn.com/lodging/rooms.html

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,576 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

Actually you can easily do the trip to Mt. St. Helens on the drive to Portland, if you leave Seattle reasonably early, at least by 9 a.m.

It will take about 2 1/2 hours to drive down I-5 to the Mt. St. Helens exit at Castle Rock. Allow at least three hours for the drive up to Johnston Ridge Visitor Center and back. From the Castle Rock exit it is just over an hour drive to Portland. Otherwise, make it a day trip from Portland. Or you could drive to St. Helens on the return trip to Seattle on Wednesday.

Agree with spending a day on the Columbia Gorge. Much to do and see there.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,770 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

Another vote for spending a day in The Gorge. it is my playground in the summer! Lots of great little hikes, long hikes, steep hikes, easy hikes... You get my drift.

Hood River is a great town in The Gorge a little over an hour drive from downtown. I would recommend you stay the night there and drive up around Mt Hood the second day. You could either drive up to Timberline Lodge and do a short or long hike from there and have lunch back at the lodge or do another hike on Mt. Hood. There are so many options for hikes so if you want more details let me know.

We generally have fantastic weather in August but after this bout of April snow showers for the past 3 days in a row, who knows what August will bring us in terms of weather. Crazy weather in Portland lately!

There are also some great concerts coming up in August at the Oregon Zoo so you might want to see one of those. You can easily take the MAX train to the zoo and enjoy an evening concert on the grass. You can pack a picnic and buy beer and wine at the zoo (you can't bring in alcohol).

Cheers!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,038 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

What a great "playground" to have ...

I don't know if you have a place to stay yet, but get crackin! my son will be there in July and we are finding hotels are almost completely booked..

Level Contributor
35,943 posts
904 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

You may want to consider a night at the Columbia Gorge Hotel, a very nice place in Hood River. In Portland, we have enjoyed stays at the Riverplace Hotel and the Heathman Hotel in downtown Portland. You can book throught the POVA website and receive complimentary parking and breakfast during your stay.

Enjoy your trip! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,038 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

travelportland.com/visitors/index-lodging.ht…

I have now accumulated more websites for visiting Portland than I need :)

(helping son plan trip in July...who better than Mom to do it?)

Maybe this will be helpful ..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

I'm wondering if you know that the coast is "doable" as a day trip from Portland.... Only 90 minutes away! In my opinion, it's probably the best reason to visit the state. I'd certainly put it ahead of Mt. Hood.

Another thought; you aren't into wine are you?

KBW
Milwaukee WI
Level Contributor
35 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Help Planning Seattle to Portland Trip in August

I guess I didn't know that the coast was that close. Wine is an interest - I've been poking around at different ideas with that as well.

Thanks so far for all the wonderful advice - I like getting info from such helpful people! It helps narrow down the options.