We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Topic
The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

Co-Restaurants of the Year...

Lots of good info for locals and visitors...

http://www.oregonlive.com/diner/

Level Contributor
36,321 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

Thanks for the link, I have dined at several of the places listed, good to see Portland City Grill getting good press in the "Get Out of Your Jeans!" category, love that place! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

I remember you recommending Beast several months ago, Brian. Haven't made it there yet. No surprise about Le Pigeon though. Or, Alberta St. Oyster Bar and Toro Bravo for that matter. Great places, all of 'em.

Big surprise to me though, that the only mention of Fenouil was that its exec. chef is also a partner in Lucier. Wonder what that says.... about both places!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,636 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

Definitely we're happy to see both restaurants picked as ROY! Two of our favorites!

We dined again at Beast a week ago Wednesday...that place is so wonderful - love the open kitchen, the attentive service and (of course) the food...

Finally made it to Le Pigeon last month for my birthday. We arrived early and picked a spot at the counter. Gabriel Rucker's a nice guy and wasn't too busy at the time, so he chatted with us while we watched the cooking show in their tiny kitchen. And, yes, I ate pigeon at Le Pigeon... :)

Brian

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

Does Gabe still do Peanut Butter and Jelly Foie? I don't think I'll ever be able to bring myself to try that.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

Oh my ! So nice to see so many restaurants that we liked on those lists !

All I can say is, PCG had to win for the view... look at the restaurants on that list ! If someone thinks Portland City Grill is great, then I just have to urge them to try some of the other Good restaurants on that list !

I saw so many places that we didn't get to try.. weeping!!

Love it that Kenny & Zukes is on there..

But then again, the publications in Portland are rarely "mean" or terribly hard on any restaurants.. they really have to be poisonously bad before they give them a really hard time lol.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

"If someone thinks Portland City Grill is great, then I just have to urge them to try some of the other Good restaurants on that list!"

As far as I'm concerned, Scarlett, if people like PCG so much, why not go back?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,110 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

True mistletoe... I admit that I am one of those people that goes back over and over and ..... when I find a place I like.

Of course, it is good to have a choice too, if I were to come to Portland one day a year, I would definitely make a list from these lists and go to each one, in fact, I plan to do something similar when we come back to visit.. and I sent this link to my son who will be there soon !

I remember how Willamette Weekly had the Years Best lists..we would always compare our notes to theirs.

Theirs was another that never really said anything that bad about a place.. sometimes they had to really look for something good to say, it seemed lol.

I didn't notice, was Mio Gelato mentioned ? lol

We had Suisse Chocolate gelato today and I remembered Mio Gelato's Gianduja... anyone had that? no? Go Taste Right Away!!

:)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

<<But then again, the publications in Portland are rarely "mean" or terribly hard on any restaurants.. they really have to be poisonously bad before they give them a really hard time lol.>>

About ten years ago, the Oregonian pretty much trashed Atwaters (the predecessor of PCG). They got a "D-" Well deserved, although a "F" would have been a more accurate grade.

I hosted 36 people from the International Food & Wine Society Conference for three days. The local group planned the last nights dinner at Atwaters. What a horrid end to a fabulous event! The food was marginal at best, the local group brought the wines (some were very good, others were plunk) and it ran $85 per person. This was during a time when wine dinners were going for less than $50.

The lady in charge of the event whispered to me "You were right, this dinner was terrible."

The two dinners I planned for them, the previous evenings - were at Red Hills (Harry from Chehalem joined us and talked about his wines) and Tina's (David and Tina put together a local and international themed wine dinner). We paid a whopping $60 per person both nights. Far better food.

http://adventuresinwine.us/winef1.htm

For what it's worth, there's the link to the three days with the group. Rats, no photos. I don't know WHY I didn't have a camera with me.

The one thing I had to laugh about was Archery Summit. Their staff said "We hope you enjoy the food we have put out for you this morning." I told the group organizer not to thank Archery Summit too much. I had arranged the food, the group PAID for it in their fee to me and the only thing Archery Summit did was to tell the caterer where to set the food. LOL!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

I think all mentioned in The Oregonian are good. My favorite is Rising Star Sel Gris. Food is amazing.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: The Oregonian's 2008 Diner Guide

mamababoo, I have not yet been to Sel Gris, but I have heard GREAT things about them from many of my wine buds. I need to check them out.