We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland Suggestions

Illinois
3 posts
Save Topic
Portland Suggestions

My husband and I will be traveling to Portland the w/o 6/24 to 6/28 and I need your help.

My husband and I love french cuisine - Which is best:

Le Bouchen, Le Pigeon, Carafe, or Petite Provence?

Would like to do some wine tasting at the vineyards. Which area in wine country is closest? Any favorite vineyards? Any suggestions on dining while out there - maybe early dinner/late lunch?

My husband will be attending a conference during those days - Any suggestions on good places to eat breakfast, lunch by myself?

Eco Tours of Oregon
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
NW Tesla Tours
Nature & Wildlife Tours, Wine Tours & Tastings
Oregon Wine Guides
Wine Tours & Tastings
First Nature Tours
River Rafting & Tubing, Wine Tours & Tastings , Nature & Wildlife Tours
Level Contributor
37,667 posts
960 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland Suggestions

Dundee is a nice region to explore, we like the Dundee Bistro there. Archery Summit, Domaine Drouhin, Domaine Serene are all great places to taste Pinot Noir. I have reviews of these places posted on this site with some photos of the wineries.

If you go to Carlton, the Winemaker's Studio is a nice place to sample several wines at one place. Scott Paul is a good place to wine taste in Carlton. Have fun! :)

Mentioned in this post
Dundee
Dundee
Oregon
Carlton
Carlton
Oregon
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland Suggestions

I'm by no means an expert on French cuisine, but we have dined at 3 of the 4 you list.

It's been a couple years, since our last visit to Le Bouchon, but I recall liking the fare but not really being charmed by the decor or service. But it's been a couple years...

Carafe is more my style - a cozy bistro, with outdoor seating in nice weather. They have a good wine list and some nice Belgian/French beers, too. Chef Pascal is a jovial guy and may walk around and say hello. Never had dinner there, though; several visits for lunch or a quick happy hour bite/drink.

We made our only trip to Le Pigeon last month and loved the place. Food was worth the hype, open kitchen, rather tiny place located just across the Burnside Bridge from downtown.

Where are you staying while your husband is attending conference...downtown? Will you have a car or rely on Tri-Met/cabs/feet? Breakfast spot in downtown: Mother's (recommended for lunch also), Bijou Cafe; Lunch: Kenny & Zuke's. If you can get to Alberta Street, hit Tin Shed Garden Cafe for breakfast...

Hope that helps,

Brian

Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland Suggestions

Thanks for the suggestions!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland Suggestions

Which is best? Or most french-like? Best is Le Pigeon, which was recently named by the Oregonian as one of Portland's co-restaurants of the year. But I don't consider it "french". Most french-like (bistro) is either Carafe or Le Bouchon. Not on your list: Fenouil, which is the fanciest french-influenced cuisine in town.

That all said, with Portland now recognized nation-wide for it's dining scene, I'd encourage you to try and figure out why. Le Pigeon would be a good place to start.

There are several of us locals who live near, and make frequent visits to wine country. And we each have our favorite wineries, many of which are taste-by-appointment only places. If you'd like recommendations for those, ask. Otherwise, I'm sure you'd enjoy tasting in Dundee at the wineries syrahgirl is recommending, three of Oregon's more high-profile (and high-priced) wineries. Stop at De Ponte, uphill from Archery Summit, too. See if you're any better than I am at discerning the difference between a $40 and $150 bottle of wine. ;-) If you're into sparkling wine, try Argyle, in the center of the small town, across the street from Dundee Bistro. If you've only got one day, I wouldn't try and include Carlton area wineries. But there are many there worth recommending too.

Where in Portland will you be staying?

Mentioned in this post
Dundee
Dundee
Oregon
Carlton
Carlton
Oregon
Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,669 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland Suggestions

Thanks mistletoe... Yeah - I meant to added that, despite a French-sounding name, Le Pigeon isn't what I'd call 'French'. But they do cook with plenty of fats and sauces, pate and fois are on the menu so I guess it could be pseudo-French... check out a menu: http://www.lepigeon.com/

And Fenouil should be on your list...it's on our list too, we just don't dine in NW/Pearl that often...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Portland Suggestions

I'd suggest Paley's Place in Portland. It's NW French, right guys? Am I wrong? Better than Fenouil in my opinion, and easier to pronounce.

While you're out in wine country you could eat at Cuvee (http://www.cuveedining.com/).

Looks like you're here during the week, so breakfast will be no problem--no long lines of scene-kids or hipsters rolling in at 11:30. I'm assuming that you'll be staying on the west-side so I'll go out on a limb and suggest Bijou Cafe on SW 3rd just south of Burnside. If you do come over to my side of the river check out Zell's, Junior's, Fat Albert's, and Flavour Spot if you're totally feeling adventurous.

Mentioned in this post
Flavour Spot
Flavour Spot
8 Reviews
Portland, OR
Illinois
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Portland Suggestions

I see I forgot to mention what area we will be in while in Portland. We areon SW River Parkway. You have all been so very helpful.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,819 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Portland Suggestions

A couple of my favorite breakfast places in Portland are on the east side. Cricket Cafe and Jam are both excellent!

If you end up driving out to The Gorge, cross over the Hood River Bridge to the Washington side and head up the Old Hwy 8 out of Lyle and go to Syncline. They have delicious wines! There are several other wineries out that including another great one, Wind River Cellars, and the scenery is beautiful!

Mentioned in this post
Washington
Washington
United States
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Portland Suggestions

I don't know if Paley's is french; da*n good food though. A special occasion kind of Place. And I just thought of Sel Gris, a new place that's getting great reviews (including from mamababoo, a forum "destination expert"). French name at least, but I don't know about the food. Will report back after tomorrow night.

And just so you know, Cuvee is in Carlton. And it's definitely french.

Okay now, where to go on the south waterfront for breakfast?

Mentioned in this post
Carlton
Carlton
Oregon
Green Valley...
Level Contributor
18,016 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Portland Suggestions

Don't forget, you can carve some French Fries from Frystack Rock on the coast. :)