We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety on MAX yellow line at night

Arthurdale, West...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Safety on MAX yellow line at night

We will be visisting Portland soon to attend the Portland antique show at the Expo center. We will be staying at a nearby hotel, the Best Western Inn at The Meadows on North Hayden Meadows Drive. Since the MAX is near this hotel, we would like to use it to go into Portland in the evening for dinner.

Is it safe to ride the MAX in the early evening; say up to 10pm?

Thank you in advance for your time and advice.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

I have never encountered or seen any problems on the yellow line. I think it is safe but hopefully someone who takes it on a regular basis will pipe in.

I just don't like the line once it gets out past 60th heading east.

Arthurdale, West...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

Does anyone know approx. how long it takes to get from Expo MAX station to Paley's restaurant?

Thank you for your time and help!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

Uh, you were advising our vistor with the wrong MAX line. LOL!

The line they are talking about is the one that runs from the Rose Quarter to the Expo Center (North Portland). There have been several incidences on that line recently. Tri-Met claims that they will beef up security, yet there have been three people beaten on the train itself....innocent people who's only "crime" was boarding the train and minding their own business.

Personally, I would not ride that line at night.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

Here is a link that has some articles about crime along the MAX line. Not meaning to scare you from using it....just want you to be informed and not put yourself in harms way.

http://www.ortem.org/crime/

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

I am glad a local made this comment, I too have read about thugs beating people up on this line. I would not ride this line outside of daylight business hours.

Arthurdale, West...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

Thank you so much for the link and advice!!

We will be taking taxi's when we go to dinner at night!

Given the problems on the MAX, do you think it would be advisable to stay at a hotel nearer to downtown?

We will only be visiting the Expo center antique show on Friday but will be in Portland from Wed. to Sat.

Thanks to all for your time and advice.

Arthurdale, West...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

WOW, after reading the reports on this link:

http://www.ortem.org/crime/

we will NOT be using the MAX at all!

My husband and I travel a lot and normally use mass transit but the crime reports on MAX are scary!

I think it might also be best to stay at a downtown hotel instead of the one near the EXPO.

THANK YOU to all, especially PDXwineaus.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

Didn't want to scare you from the hotels around the Expo Center and Jantzen Beach. They are quite safe. The MAX line can be dicey, especially at night. Tri-Met did say that crime will go up during the summer as kids are out of school with nothing to do.

There are a lot of great hotels around Lloyd Center as well as downtown. Of course, they do get more expensive, the closer you get to the city center.

Our city really is very safe, there are simply pockets of the city that are either best avoided, or avoided after certain hours.

Truly, you will enjoy our city.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

You will need to make your own decision, of course. When we go to Portland, we stay either in a hotel or at an RV park, both in Jantzen Beach, and take MAX to downtown. We have never seen or encountered any trouble whatsoever. We often come back from the city after dark, but not real late.

I did not click on the link, but everyone needs to remember the basic rule of media: "sensationalism sells"! That's an old newspaper saying, but remains true in the cable TV era.

Many many thousands of people use the MAX daily in perfect safety.

Arthurdale, West...
Level Contributor
35 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety on MAX yellow line at night

I am sure Portland is a wonderful city and am sure we will love it. However, like all cities, especially those in the US, crime can be a problem and one needs to be attentive; not intimidated or scared but aware. My husband wants us to stay at the Best Western that we have booked near the Expo center. It will save us money and we can spend it on "better" things like food and wine! Now that we know we need to be vigilant on MAX, we will be a bit extra cautious during the day and take taxi's at night.

Thank you to everyone for your opinion, advice and thoughts!!