We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which itinerary makes more sense?

illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Which itinerary makes more sense?

We'll be in the Northwest during mid-July. We have some physical limitations so there won't be any substantial hiking. We enjoy natural scenery, photography, mountain views, and unique shopping and dining opportunities. We'll be spending three days in Seattle and two days around Olympic National Park before heading south.

We are staying in Ocean Shores, WA the night before we will head to Oregon. We definitely want to go to Mt. St. Helens and the Columbia River Gorge. We've read so much about Cannon Beach and Astoria that the coast is sounding good too. We will be spending some time on the Washington coast. Is the landscape very different around Cannon Beach? We won't be swimming, just looking around.

Here's the dilemma. We were thinking about leaving Ocean Shores and going to Mt. St. Helen's and then staying around Troutdale for two nights, spending one day to do the gorge and Mt. Hood. The next day we would look around Portland, especially the glass museum. Would it be possible to do the glass museum and go out to Cannon Beach, up to Astoria and back to Troutdale to the same hotel in one day?

Would it make more sense to leave Ocean Shores and go south to Astoria and Cannon Beach, and stay there; then move on to Troutdale and do the gorge and Mt. Hood, the glass museum the next day and then up to Mt. St. Helens on the way back to Seattle?

Thanks for your input!

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
305 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which itinerary makes more sense?

Personally I think it makes more sense to leave Ocean Shores and go south to Astoria and Cannon Beach. Even though Oregon and Washington are so close to each other, you'll find the coastlines are not identical and you won't be sorry you drove south. It will be worth it. From the Oregon coast you could make a fairly straight shot to Troutdale for the Gorge and Mt. Hood, followed by Mt St Helens on your way back to Seattle. Be aware that Mt St Helens requires a good chunk of time, though.

I would personally not want to do the museum, Cannon Beach, Astoria and back to Troutdale in one day. It's just too much, in my opinion. Hours and hours of driving with very little time to stop and enjoy anything.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which itinerary makes more sense?

I agree with Sarah.

What glass museum? I am not aware of one here, but there is one up in Tacoma that is well known.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which itinerary makes more sense?

I, too, agree with Sarah. Perhaps the OP is talking about that glass blowing place at the Edgefield? Or the contemporary craft museum up in NW?

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,337 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which itinerary makes more sense?

Lol, I had no idea that there was a glass museum in Portland - now I don't feel so bad if you guys don't know either :-)

illinois
Level Contributor
59 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which itinerary makes more sense?

Oops, the museum is in Tacoma, so it's not an issue in Portland. I've read about so many great things it's hard to keep them straight.

Thanks for the advice!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which itinerary makes more sense?

Oh you will love it! There is a small glassblowing place in Seattle right by the Westin if you get a chance. Very cool items there! It is the Seattle Glassblowing Studio, on 5th. But the museum in Tacoma has some Dale Chihuly which is absolutely stunning. If you can, go to the Alexis hotel in Seattle and in the lobby is an amazing piece of his.

Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,416 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which itinerary makes more sense?

The second option is the one that makes sense.

8. Re: Which itinerary makes more sense?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2009, 23:20