We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Temperatures.. what to bring...

sarasota
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Temperatures.. what to bring...

I am packing for our 3 week trip to Oregon leaving this Monday. We are sooo excited. 2 boys 8 and 10 and husband. I was uncertain about how to pack summer clothes but then wondering about cold nights. sweatshirts rain gear etc.{coming from florida I usually overpack not knowing what to expect...)

Our trip consists of portland then 5 days south on the coast, then 4 days white water raft trip on rogue then 2 days ashland then 3 days SunValley then leaving out of Portland. Any special advise?

I must say this forum and ALL of your advise has been invaluable to me Coolest way to plan a vacation! thanks so much!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

Hi!

The forecast for next week (in Portland) is temps in the mid to high 80's. At night, it will cool down into the 60's (unless we get a hot snap, then it could hover in the 70's).

You will definitely want to have jackets for the coast as it can be breezy and cool.

We do not normally get very humid (although last week was horrid for those of us from here who are not used to sticky weather).

Your trip is during a time when the weather (for most people) is very nice.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,355 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

You will probably want clothing layers for your trip-you will probably experience all of the above at some point in your trip.

Right now it is about 70 degrees and cloudy/misty, but its summer so Im wearing shorts!!!

It will probably be hot at Sunriver and Southern Oregon(mid80s to mid90s) and cool at the coast (60s-70s) unless we have a big heatwave.

My typical attire at the beach is sweatshirt and shorts to give you an idea. Everywhere else just a t-shirt and shorts would be typical with a possible sweatshirt put on at around 9pm.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

Layers work well for Oregon plus some type of semi rain proof wrap just in case. Hope you will report back on your trip, have a wonderful visit.

sarasota
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

I sure will let you know how it went. I think I'm done with my packing. Easiest trip to pack for. totally casual.. love it. sweats, shorts and jeans..I may still have a few last minute questions.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,889 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

Packing for Oregon is a challenge sometimes, lol! We have been having very grey drizzly days here at the coast, but hopefully summer will be starting soon. When it does . . . On the sand, temps will be in the mid 60's with a breeze. As you move inland, it warms up, starting at about a half-mile / mile or so. But unless there is a weird heat wave, your high temp along the coast should be no more than low 70's. The southern coast is naturally warmer than the northern coast.

Ashland will be very warm to hot. Possibly in the upper 90's. Same for Sunriver, but still very cool there at night. I was there once in June and it still froze at night!

Very glad to be of help and have a wonderful holiday here :-))

Oregon
Level Contributor
8,735 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

I am a coast person, grew up there and can't stay away. If I missed a week or more in any year do not know when.

I am not a sweats person. for me coast is layers and sweats too heavy for one layer. my layers jacket sort of water proof, sweater, shirt. And if rain, may buy a poncho a coast.

But some of our family does wear the sweats. You won't be sorry. maybe

Troutdale, OR
Level Contributor
8 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

As far as rain gear goes, even our weathermen don't know! You will find, should it rain, it isn't that soaking type of rain you're used to, more of a drizzle. But chances are it won't happen. The beach, I would say, requires a windbreaker sometimes, but have seldom seen it need sweats in summer. The Rogue River trip will be fantastic, perhaps your trip highlight. Every place you mention is a choice of ours, so I know you'll love it. It can get quite cold at night around Sunriver, and quite humidity free hot during the day.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,563 posts
130 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

Coming from Florida you will probably be chilly on days that we NW natives consider warm and break out the shorts and flip-flops.

Bring a sweatshirts and a light jacket for the coast, but Ashland will probably be quite warm so shorts are in order there. Do you mean Sun River?--Sun Valley is in Idaho. It will probably be hot and dry there.

There's a great Jeff Foxworthy piece about "You know you're from the Pacific Northwest", that includes "You have no concept of humidity without precipitation" and "You put on your shorts when the temperature gets above 50º but still wear your hiking boots and parka." That pretty much sums up the weather here.

The great thing is that there are very few places that you will feel out-of-place in your levis and sweatshirts.

sarasota
Level Contributor
100 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

Just finished packing. slickers, sweats, shorts and jeans. anything else we will buy... Just can't wait... Loved those quotes. It sounds like we won't be self concious in anything that we decide to wear.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,979 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Temperatures.. what to bring...

<<There's a great Jeff Foxworthy piece about "You know you're from the Pacific Northwest", that includes "You have no concept of humidity without precipitation">.

Except last week. Oh my, was it every HORRID! I hate summer, I hate heat, but it is normally dry.....last week...hot and humid! YUCK!