We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
122 reviews
Save Topic
Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Greetings:

Couldn't get my usual great rate at Benson on Priceline, so I decided to book Inn @ Northrup. Seems like a nice hotel and it's been awhile since I've frequented the NW section....I only have 2 nights--any reason for me to check out the Pearl and/or schlep to Hawthorne section--or is there still plenty to see and do in NW?....I've always been a big fan of Bluehour in the Pearl--how does their sister restaurant 23 Hoyt compare??....any other "don't misses" such as Lucy's Table or Paley's Place?. Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Cue Scarlett in 5... 4... 3... 2...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Northrup Station and Benson are like night and day. It'll be interesting to know what you think.

Been a year or so since we were at 23 Hoyt. As good as Bluehour then, and I've read reviews/reports that it's gotten better since. Ten 01 in the Pearl is similar, and I think a little better. If you do decide to "schlep" out to Hawthorne, put Sel Gris on the list. Impressive new place.

Paley's Place is great if you're on a date. Less so if you're looking for adventure. For that, I'd try the dining bar at Le Pigeon, on Burnside, just across the river. And if you're in the mood for pasta, easy choice: Caffe Mingo. Haven't been to Lucy's Table in years.

Now, what was it you asked?

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,808 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Another good place in the NW area, and very casual, is Serratto.

Level Contributor
34,525 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Haven't been to 23 Hoyt yet but we also love Bluehour. Yes, Paley's Place is very good and there is also Wildwood across the street where we have enjoyed several great meals.

You may also want to consider Park Kitchen, Fenouil or Olea all in the Portland Pearl for great meals. Enjoy your time in Portland! :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

lol, thank you oregone ! I was out s h o p p i n g !!

I think the Inn@Northrup Station would be perfectly fine for a couple of nights.

You can't ask for a better spot as far as getting around and having so many good restaurants etc close by. And you can go to the late show at Cinema 21 about 4 blocks away on NW21st and see some good ArtHouse movie :)

23 Hoyt gets a lot of bad reviews as well as good.. even now.

I am not sure how long they will even be there, I heard "rumblings" lol...

If I were there right now- I would go to Wildwood ( again) it is just so good and so comfortable for a good long relaxing meal.

bluehour is good, I prefer them for lunch outdoors or Happy Hour.. at least Pup preferred them for Happy Hour.

What about Piazza Italia on Johnson ? As Authentic an Italian place as you will get, RAI channel on tv, everyone working there is Italian, speaks Italian ...food is great!

If not dinner, go for lunch, sit outside.

Hope this helps and doesn't confuse you more.

At least I can tell you about where I ate rather than where I wanna eat :)

syrahgirl, you should read these recommendations and try some new places... if you will have time on your drive through Portland on the way to the Coast..

Miami, Florida
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
5,340 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Just got back--Inn @ Northrup Station was a great choice--right behind Paley's Place and a great location....I had dinner at Caffe Mingo (excellent Italian) one night and the next night had a happy hour salad at Hoyt 23, went for a beer at Jo Bar, and then a glass of wine and starter dish at Wildwood...all in all, great flavor of the city and would highly recommend the hotel and immediate area.

Level Contributor
34,525 posts
890 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Thanks for reporting back! We have enjoyed several great meals at Wildwood over the years, Nob Hill is such a cool area of Portland to spend time in. :)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,854 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

Thanks for letting us know how you liked everything !

I like the way you did it :) Caffe Mingo for dinner and Happy Hour at Hoyt 23 .. and Jo Bar !!

Glad you went to Wildwood.. good, isn't it ? :D

syrahgirl, you should try this next time to go to Portland.. stay right in that area..

9. Re: Inn at Northrup Station / NW 21 & 23

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 03:19