We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

I'd like to thank everyone who earlier shared some great ideas and helped us get a start in our itinerary for our upcoming trip to the Oregon area.

Based on earlier feedback, we have revised our itinirery, as reflected below.

We have a 4-night minimum stay in our cabin in the Mt Hood area. However, we've done some tweaking in the itinerary below.

Please share comments on this revised one from the one posted earlier.

Day 1 (Friday, Aug 1)

Arriving at PDX at 12 noon local time.

Checking in around 2:30pm at our home base in the Mt Hood area.

Touring Mt Hood/Timberline area/Mt Hood Adventure Park with the kids.

Spend Evening in Mt Hood area

Day 2 (Saturday, Aug 2):

Columbia River Scenic highway drive to Mt Hood.

Visit Hood River area/Wildwood Recreation/Trout Farm for some fishing with the kids...

Spend night in the Mt Hood area

Day 3 – (Sunday, Aug 3)

Most of day sightseeing in Portland area: Washington Park/Rose Gardens/Japanese Gardens/Nob Hill/Pearl Districts/Pittock Mansion/Streetcars/Air Tram/Pioneer Square

Spend 1 night in Portland

Day 4 (Monday, Aug 4)

Early check out in Portland for Day trip to Mt St Helens from Portland and back to mountain Home base in pm for the night

Day 5 (Tuesday, Aug 5)

Heading out to Coast early morning.

Do Astoria and Seaside’s main tourist attractions and points of interest.

Stay 1 night in Seaside

Day 6 (Wednesday, Aug 6)

Do Cannon Beach/Tillamook/Three Capes Drive/ Tillamook Cheese Factory and then head to Depoe Bay in evening for first-night stay

DAY 7 (Thursday, Aug 7)

Do rest of Central Coast from DB to Yachats.

Do Newport areas' tourist attractions and main points of interest : Marine Science Center in South Beach (across the bay), which is free; Devil Punch’s Bowl, Yaquina Head Lighthouse, Yaquina Bay Lighthouse, Bay front/Port Dock 1 for Sea Lions, Nye Beach in Newport, Cape Perpetua, Heceta Head Lighthouse, Yachats Coastline and back in evening to Depoe Bay for 2nd/last night stay

DAY 8 (Friday, Aug 8)

Check out early from DB and Head South towards Reedsport . Do Dune Buggy Rides/ the Dean Creek elk viewing area on Hwy 38 from Reedsport. //Do the Rogue Umpqua Scenic Byway drive on Hwy 138…

Stay overnight in Medford (Free night)

DAY 9 (Saturday, Aug 9)

Do Crater Lake, Wizard island/Rim Drive, etc…and in pm back to Portland’s Embassy Suites at PDX

DAY 10

Flight back home from PDX.

Manzanita, Oregon
Level Contributor
775 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Dashelter – We all may have been a little rough on you yesterday, I believe the intent of all the local posters is to assist visitors in having the best trip to Oregon and the Northwest that they possibly can have. You face the dilemma of many who wish to see as much of this great region as they can in the often too short time they can manage to be with us.

You have made some difficult but wise choices that will enhance your trip. Staying the night in Portland will allow you more time to try and see and do your Portland attractions. I agree with your decision to allot time for Mt. St. Helens and Crater Lake, truly natural sights unduplicated elsewhere, at least in the lower 48.

Honestly your time at the beach still looks very busy. I agree with Rivergallery’s post on the Ft. Stevens and Seaside area. On your way south a must stop is Ecola State Park, great views, easy, quick, walk. Then In Cannon Beach walk on the beach to view Haystack Rock. Driving south stop at the ocean view pull of at Mt. Neahkahnie for truly spectacular panoramic ocean views. Further south the Cheese plant stop makes sense, lunch, a good quality ice cream and rest break. If you have time for the 3 Capes route many enjoy the walk to Cape Meares lighthouse but if pressed for time you could skip this route especially as you intend to visit the Heceta Head lighthouse, great views there. Hopefully half-Brit will suggest a priority list for the greater Newport area keeping in mind your 2 youngsters.

Dropping the jet boat trip makes your Medford stay with trip to CL and overnight in Portland doable. All the best.

Level Contributor
34,986 posts
898 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Looks perfect! Where are you staying in Seaside, you might want to book asap for August, places fill up very quickly on the coast, this is high tourist season for Seaside and Cannon Beach.

In Portland, you may want to add the Chinese Classical Gardens to your list of attractions to visit, plan on about an hour or so to go through this. Have a great trip! :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Again, Syrah, I do not understand how you can comment when you haven't been to half the places. Hopefully when you get back to OR you will venture out and see places, like Mt. Hood that you have never been to before.

I agree with Tyr, this itinerary looks much better. Your day in Portland will be full, so don't be surprised if you can't fit it all in. But staying overnight will definitely help. BTW, the locals call it NW, not Nob Hill.

We were just in Newport with our kids the other week. The bayfront is ok, but it doesn't take much time at all. There is a kite/toy shop upstairs on the waterfront there that the kids will probably like. Even our teens were having a ball with the little kid toys there, lol! The aquarium in Newport is very good, and I like that so much of it is outside. At Yaquina Head, go down to the tidepools. Don't wear flip flops though, lol! DD had a hard time walking on the rocks in those. Nye Beach is really nice and there is a parking lot between the shops and the beach access. We had breakfast at Cafe Stephanie there before heading down to the beach and I would highly recommend that. It is fine with kids. Again, you will probably have a hard time fitting everything in, but just enjoy what you can.

You day at Crater Lake, driving back to Portland will be very long. Be sure to stop often so that you don't get too tired.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,890 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Since you will be walking around the neighborhoods, the Pearl and the NW, you will perhaps have time to see the Chinese Gardens. But if you don't , I am very happy that you are going to take time to see the Japanese Gardens.

You will see that by riding the Streetcar on it's loop, you will be able to see much more of the city than if you were walking the entire time, so keep that in mind.. Streetcars don't cost much at all...

Embassy Suites at the airport on your last night is smart.

Which hotel did you decide on for one night? I have forgotten already lol

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

We stayed at Embassy Suites when our plane was canceled one year. It is very nice, they have a restaurant which is $$ but is pretty good food. The kiddos loved the pool. I am a very light sleeper but I actually SLEPT, You could hear airport stuff when you opened the windows, but just very barely when closed. I didn't even hear it once I went to go to bed.

The Koi in their indoor pond were fun for them to see as well. Excellent choice for an airport hotel IMO.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
1,005 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Excellent, guys!

I really do appreciate all feedback for anything practical that makes sense, specially when time is a factor.

In Seaside, we are staying at the Rivertide Suites.

Not sure if it would make a difference if we stayed at the Cannery Pier Hotel in Astoria.

For the 1 night in Portland,we will be staying at the Embassy Suites - downtown.

This is our plan for Astoria and Seaside:

ASTORIA

Fort Stevens State Park

Fort Clatsop National Memorial

Astoria Column

Columbia River Maritime Museum (If time allows)

Flavel House

Astoria Riverfront Trolley

SEASIDE

The Arcade

The Beach

Downtown

For CANNON BEACH

Ecola State Park

Cannon Beach downtown

Haystack Rock

Oswald West State Park

On Day 8, we're also planning to do Florence - Old Town (if time allows) as we're doing Dune Buggy/before crossing over on Reedsport towards Crater Lake with stop overnight in Medford.

I assume this is doable.

Thanks

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,921 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Personally, I would skip the arcade. I took our kids and their friends there last month, and while they have all been there before, they all commented how it was pretty gross and so we didn't spent long there as they asked to go to Cannon Beach instead. At Cannon Beach you can all rent funcycles and ride on the beach. Low tide is best as it gives you more area of hard packed sand to ride in. We rent from the place next door to the Cannon Beach Hotel and they are only $12 for 90 minutes. Lots of fun!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,975 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Your itinerary looks much better. The only hesitation I have is your day in Portland. You are really hoping to cram a lot into one day. So, do not be surprised if you do not get to all of it.

The locals here will steer you in the right direction (as will Scarlett as she used to live here).

The Embassy Suites at the airport is an excellent choice. I'll wave to you...LOL! I live about 3 miles away, at the top of a hill, and can see the airport from my west side. Embassy Suites is very recognizable from up here. LOL!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

Lots of tree cleanup and falling done right now at Oswald West... Might want to hit Hug Point or Arcadia Beach instead, they are both really fun for kids and a bit less hiking.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Itinerary Revised...Aug 1 - Aug 10...Need feedback

I might skip the Flavel House, just looking at it might be enough. they do have most rooms roped off but I know my almost 5 yo would want to TOUCH everything and might not be too excited about the history.