We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Time To Visit

New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Best Time To Visit

We are planning a trip to Portland and would like to know the best time of the year to visit. Would like to go when it rains the least. I hear that October thru January is the rainy season. Need some advice from the locals.

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Time To Visit

Well, historically the months of least rain, in order, are July, August, June, and September. July and August are also our warmest months with temps sometimes (infrequently) bumping up against 100. But every year is pretty much a crap shoot; and it's anybody's guess.

In spite of the slightly higher chance of rain, September is my favorite weather month, almost never too hot or cold. And it's heading into grape harvest, so if you're into it, the timing is good for winery visits too.

Any particular reason for the visit? Portland is pretty, even in the rain.

Mentioned in this post
Salem, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,773 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Time To Visit

My vote is late September, when the leaves start changing. The willamette valley is gorgous then and rivals New England areas for it's beauty. I love driving the wine country during the fall because of all the changing colors.

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Time To Visit

Late July, August, September. Weather is warm, sky is blue. Many indoor and outdoor options for recreation and entertainment. Let us know what kind of place you want to stay in and the kind of things you'd like to part of and we can help!

flint michigan
Level Contributor
8 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Time To Visit

We are thinking of visiting in August to visit because my husband is thinking of going to the chiropractic college there. We would like to be close to public transportation. I am disabled, so walking too much is not good for me.

We would like a budget hotel, we don't care about the hotel being super, just decent and affordable. We would like to spend most of our money and time exploring the area, eating great vegetarian food, looking for possible places to live.

Any suggestions?

Albuquerque, New...
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
143 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Time To Visit

Let us know what you're thinking of in terms of hotel budget.

Wilsonville, OR
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Time To Visit

There is no better place in the world to live than in Portland in July, August, and September. Without a doubt, September is my favorite month!

Mentioned in this post
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Time To Visit

Definitely September. Preferably after the 15th when all the kids are back in eugene and corvallis for college. My second choice would be that one week in February when it doesn't rain and the temperature is a balmy 48 degrees. Seems to happen every year.