We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather in September

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
350 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Weather in September

I am hoping to come to Portland during the first two weeks of September 2008. Can someone please let me know what the weather is typically like in September. I am hoping to do some hiking in the Columbia gorge and perhaps take in a few wineries. Never been to Pacific NW before.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,443 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather in September

www.wunderground.com/US/OR/Portland.html

Our first trip to Portland was the first 2 weeks of September.. the weather was perfect. Sunny warm days, dry .. cool nights.

But that was then. My friend always told me, if you don't like the weather - wait a minute lol.

Keep checking the weather on the link above.. good way to keep up with it :)

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather in September

The weather in Sept is the best all year. It is as warm and less precipitation as it gets.

I always hated starting school .. LOL

I agree.. weatherunderground is our go to source for weather.

Longview, Washington
Destination Expert
for Mount Rainier National Park
Level Contributor
2,589 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather in September

Generally, early September is quite nice, Pleasant sunny days (after the morning fog burns off--which is a normal summer occurence), but cool evenings.

A couple of years ago we drove down to Yachats on the central Oregon to celebrate our anniversary on Sept 11. It was quite warm and sunny in the Portland area, but as soon as we got over the coast mountain range the fog rolled in. We would get spots of sunshine and then more fog all along the coast. Lasted the entire 3 days we were there, while inland it continued the wonderful late summer sunshine.

Hiking in the the Columbia Gorge should be great, regardless. I've hiked the Multnomah/Wahkeena Falls trail in the rain. The trees are so thick that you don't get really wet. There are a number of great hikes in the Columbia Gorge. You will enjoy them. A couple of weeks ago we hiked the portion of the Mosier Twin Tunnels trail from the east (Mosier) end.

We're getting old and lazy, did not want to do the entire four miles from the Hood River end. Lots of bicyclists on the trail, looked like a great place for riding.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather in September

September is the best time of the year to be in Portland. 71 degrees and mostly sunny during the day, 55 and clear at night, with a little bit of morning clouds that burn off at about 8:45am. Unless you plan something. If you plan something, then it hails. So NO PLANNING!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,443 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather in September

I just have to say .... <<Unless you plan something. If you plan something, then it hails. So NO PLANNING! >> .... no Truer words were ever spoken! lol

If we had the car or the dog washed, it would rain...always.

If we were going to Laurelhurst for a picnic or to the Coast...always... you can make vague plans but don't say them out loud ... :o)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,803 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather in September

LOL oregone:) We planned our outdoor wedding for early Sept and ended up with the 2nd hottest day of the summer!

KG
Oregon
Level Contributor
1,907 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather in September

We were married on Sept 18th..a hundred years ago...85 degrees.

Atlanta
Level Contributor
72 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather in September

Is there a weather site to check for the coast? Sounds like inland can be good, but coast entirely different. Thanks We arrive Sept 3rd - 13th.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather in September

We use weather underground and then type in the zipcode. NOAA weather radio is better, but if you don't have a CB for it, then this one is pretty accurate.

Zipcode for Astoria is 97103

Seaside is 97103

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,496 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather in September

sorry.

Seaside is 97138

Here is the website

http://www.wunderground.com/