We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotels in bad neighborhoods

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
336 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotels in bad neighborhoods

Hello,

A post referred the Comfort Inn in Portland as a “Nice place in a questionable neighborhood”.

Does anyone know anything about the surounding area of this hotel ? Also, what would be the no-go areas inm Portland.

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,786 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotels in bad neighborhoods

The area of 82nd is seedy. Probably not dangerous but there is a fair amount of drug activity and petty crime in that area.

I do not recommend staying there for a visit to Portland.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotels in bad neighborhoods

Check prices on hotels. You may find a place for a good price outside of that area.I would suggest The Embassy Suites or if you prefer The White Eagle in inner NE Portland. Both are nice. The White Eagle is a bit sparse, but the price is very good.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotels in bad neighborhoods

I figure that unless you really love Elmer's Pancake House or are visiting a relative that lives in that neighborhood, this would be one of the last places I'd recommend in Portland. While it's certainly not as dicey as other parts of 82nd--and much safer than, say, 181st and Burnside, I think you could do a lot better for the same price in other parts of town. In defense of Elmer's, they have a not bad German pancake.

Portland
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotels in bad neighborhoods

Compared to most other major cities there are no real "no go" areas. When I moved back here in 1990 the dangerous parts of town would have been considered nice in LA. Far Southeast Multnomah county has the seediest parts of town, it is unlikely a tourist would get out there. Despite the rennovations Old Town still has the most Homeless and related Unfortunates. Like anywhere it's incumbent on you to keep aware of your surroundings.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,215 posts
1,081 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotels in bad neighborhoods

I surprisingly know just where this hotel is! I would not call it a "bad" area, it is a little run down. If you favor late-night strolls along the streets I would not recommend it. Otherwise it should be as safe as about anywhere in a large city.

If using the MAX use common sense and I'd suggest not late at night. Unless we've seen you competing on "American Gladiators", lol!

If you'd like some other options, give your price range and you'll get more lodging suggestions.

6. Re: Hotels in bad neighborhoods

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 22:18
Get answers to your questions about Portland