We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Portland to Bainbridge Island -What I learned

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
29 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Portland to Bainbridge Island -What I learned

As a quick getaway and an effort to reduce our travel carbon footprint my wife and I decided to escape for three days to Bainbridge Island WA.

We took the Amtrak Cascades from Portland and arrived in Seattle 3-1/2 hours later. We walked to the ferry toting our bags for the 1/4 mile hike from King Street Station to the ferry terminal. We paid the $6.70 ticket each and boarded the ferry for the 20 minute trip to Bainbridge Island where we disembarked and walked the 1/4 mile to our hotel the Eagle Harbor Inn. Now here's waht we learned:

(1) A free city bus (99) is available from the train station to the ferry terminal. (2) A shuttle bus (the 100 Winslow shuttle) meets every ferry arrival and circles the compact downtown area and depending on the schedule even stops across the street from the Eagle Harbot Inn. (3) There is no fare on the ferry that returns to Seattle. (4) The Eagle Harbor Inn is very pleasant and unique. Now you know

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Portland to Bainbridge Island -What I learned

You couldn't have done this when I was living there so we could do it too ?? lol

Now we know, thank you so much for posting this.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Portland to Bainbridge Island -What I learned

But think about all the glorius exercise you got, walking out in good weather, by not taking the free city bus in Seattle or the shuttle buss on Bainbridge Island !

:)

I hope your luggage wasn't heavy and glad you didn't have to do that in the rain.

-Noah

Level Contributor
34,474 posts
888 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Portland to Bainbridge Island -What I learned

Thanks for the info, the ferry ride to Bainbridge Island is so nice! :)

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,799 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Portland to Bainbridge Island -What I learned

Sounds like fun. Nice that you got off the ferry and actually got to enjoy BBI. It is a nice area.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Portland to Bainbridge Island -What I learned

Now if only my dream of a scheduled small 48-seat cruise ship with daily service to Astoria and back could be realized. They could serve croquettes and mojitos on the covered deck.

6. Re: Portland to Bainbridge Island -What I learned

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2009, 08:19