We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Am I crazy

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Alaska
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Topic
Am I crazy

Going to be in Portland for meetings, meeting location is SE prt of town, near Clackamas, people in office tought staying near Llyod Center would be good for evenings, mapquest has drive to class at 15-mins so plan for 30 right? Is the Llyod Center a good choice or should I look for something on the other side of the river? Or stick with orginal plan of staying in Clackamas?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Am I crazy

Not sure why you would want to stay near Lloyd Center if your meetings are in Clackamas. There are a couple of hotels right at I-205 and Sunnyside in Clackamas. Trust me, during rush hour(s) it will take a lot longer than 15 minutes from Clackamas to Lloyd Center. It could take as long as an hour, depending on traffic.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Am I crazy

I'm not sure why Lloyd Center would be recommended either. If you think you'll have free time in the evenings, I'd suggest a west-side downtown hotel, which wouldn't be much further from your meeting location than Lloyd Center. Otherwise, if you'll have little or no time to enjoy Portland sights and attractions, you'd probably be happier near the meeting location.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Am I crazy

Yeah, I think the Monarch is finally done being remodeled after that pesky mold problem they were having. If you hate driving I'd stay in Clackamas. If you don't mind the commute I'd stay downtown in order to keep from going even more crazy, as Clackamas is a scorched wasteland of Applebee's and Dress Barns.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,853 posts
1,049 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Am I crazy

Why on earth would you fight the traffic all the way from Lloyd Center to Clackamas every day? -- shudder -- Don't think even Anchorage has that much traffic, lol!

If you like good food, there is a Claimjumper at Clackamas Town Center. Great food, big portions. Ovelook the fact that it's a "chain", if that bothers you!

If you enjoy fantastic salad bars, there is a Sweet Tomatoes on the west end of Clackamas Promenade. Every kind of produce you can think of, about five or six soups, fresh pasta . . . but oh dear, another pesky chain.

There are several decent motels/hotels in that area, including the very nice Oxford Suites right on a river.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Am I crazy

Even though it is a grocery store, great dinners can be had at the Happy Valley New Seasons. It's just up Sunnyside Road, about 2-3 miles. This is their flagship store with MANY food choices and you can even buy single serving bottles of wine to enjoy with your dinner in their cafe.

There is also a Stanfords across the stree from the Towne Center.

If you want steak, and don't want to travel far, High Rocks Restaurant is two or three exists south on I-205. It's an "old school" restaurant that is family owned...so no "haute cuisine", but good home style steak, chicken type restaurant.

Alaska
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Am I crazy

I think I'd like to stay downtwon so I can ejoy some of the local brewerys that are downtown (Rouge, Bridgeport), so westside downtown where to stay is the new question I guess. I will be staying the weekend on my own dime so I will move out of downtown for the weekend. I'm hoping traffic won't be so bad as I'm going away from downtown in the am.

Thanks for any other ideas

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Am I crazy

As Oregone pointed out, Happy Valley does not have much to offer in the way of great restaurants or nightlife. Chains galore!

If you want to stay in an area that has some nightlife and good restaurants, definitely stay downtown. I have read a couple of positive reviews of the Residence Inn near Lloyd Center recently and that would make it very easy to hop on to I-84.

My office used to be out in Clackamas and from SW Portland it would usually take me 25-45 minutes to get over there if I left at 7:15. If I left at 7:30 it would be a different story!

You will be doing a reverse commute. As you are heading out to Clackamas, most people will be heading downtown to get to work. That being said, afternoon traffic both outbound and inbound can be a horror on 84. It really depends on what time your meetings are in Clackamas.

Alaska
Level Contributor
22 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Am I crazy

Thanks all for your thoughts! I think I'll stay downtown, west of river this way I can enjoy the evenings. I'll be headind out about 7-7:15 Windjammer, this should help my travel time. Meetings should end each day at 5pm so my inbound back downtown may take some time, no worries I'm sure there are some good radio stations! Any thoughts on downtown hotels near Bridgeport and or Rouge brewpubs?

Portland, OR
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Am I crazy

If you leave towards Clackamas at 7 it will take you about 15 minutes. Coming back in may take longer at 5:00

Downtown Portland is a business center interlaced with several good restaurants but the majority of the brewpubs on the west side of town are in NW, ie., Bridgeport and Rogue. The Ace hotel is in a great location right near the street car, Powell's, The Pearl. I also like Clyde Common, the restuarant of the Ace. The street car will drop you right near Bridgeport and also walking distance to New Old Lompoc and Lucky Lab.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Am I crazy

I was gonna say..... Ace Hotel sounds like a good fit, all things considered. And hopefully the rates aren't so high that you have to move for the weekend. If you do, consider the Jupiter Hotel. It's a bit (or a bunch) noisy with Doug Fir next door, but in a great location convenient to downtown.