We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

Okay everyone, even though I am a local, I am at a loss for ideas, other than the dreaded shopping mall.

My 11 year old niece from San Diego is visiting, and I have a 7 year old and almost 2 year old. So, I need to find some indoor activities for tomorrow that all three can enjoy.

I had planned a whole day on the Hood River Fruit Loop and the Columbia Gorge for tomorrow, (it is gravenstein apple days after all), but I think with the forecast over 100 it will be too hot to go out and wander the farms.

I had also thought about Mt. Hood, but it doesn't look like it would be much cooler up there, and everywhere on the coast is going to be crowded.

Any ideas anyone could help me with would be appreciated. I guess my brain is fried from the heat and I can't think of anything.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

It'll almost certainly be crowded too, but you could take the kids to splash around in the Salmon Street Fountain. Or the one in Jamison Square. Maybe couple it with a trip to Saturday Market?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

Isn't there some sort of new gigantic indoor water park up by Centralia? Something about a wave pool sounds good to me right now.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

You could also head to a movie or go to one of the ice rinks for skating.

OMSI would be another great choice....I bet it will be crowded though!

This would be a great day for those who LOVE heat to visit the zoo as I am betting it will be a quiet couple of days up there. ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

I don't know if a long-ish drive would work out for your crew, but one of my favorite things to do when it is this hot in the city is to head up to Timberline Lodge for some sightseeing and a meal. The forecast for Timberline today is 67 degrees, much better than the 100+ for Portland!

Some other ideas might be to go to the Lloyd Center mall and go ice skating. Even if they don't want to skate, it's cool throughout the mall and especially down by the ice rink. Plus there are some kid-friendly stores and eateries there. (It's probably been there for years, but i just noticed a Pirate themed shop down by the ice rink yesterday)

I agree with going and finding a fountain to go play in. Salmon Street Springs is a favorite of mine, and often crowded during hot weather. I also like the fountian in Holladay park south of Lloyd Center, that one has a lot of trees which would be a bonus in this hot weather.

When I was a kid and it got hot like this, my parents idea of "fun" was to turn on the sprinkler and let me run around in it. Maybe its more fun with two kids :) Oh- and one last hint, if you find your self on Max downtown - go up to the Zoo stop, it's so deep the temperature is pretty constant down there and chilly. Not a great place to spend a lot of time - but at least walk around and see the artwork on the walls. Might be a bit of a challenge for a two-years-old, though.

I seem to remmeber the zoo train (between the Zoo and the Rose Test Garden area) goes through a heavily forrested area and was somewhat cooling. But then you would just end up back at the zoo and that it's all tree-covered so it probably just as hot as where you were going.

Best of luck, I hope you and your family find something to enjoy!

-Noah

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

Oregone one mentions: "Isn't there some sort of new gigantic indoor water park up by Centralia? Something about a wave pool sounds good to me right now."

I bet you are thinking of Great Wolfe Lodge just North of Centralia. It is a huge indoor water park, I had friends go there just a few weeks ago. I hear it's great for families. Interestingly - they don't appear to sell 'day passes.' The only way you get to go to the water park is to stay the night there. the hotel rooms (which are all very kid friendly) include the price of the water park admission. More info on Great Wolfe Lodge at greatwolf.com/Locations/Grandmound/index.aspx

There are some TA reviews for this attraction at: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g58392-d1005650…

There is a water park in the Portland area - down near Clackamas Town Center. It's called the North Clackamas Aquatic Center. It's indoors and is probably very well attended about now! Info at: http://www.clackamas.us/ncprd/aquatic/

Have fun!

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

I generally have great fun squirting mine with the hose. We make a great game of it!! The sprinklers are great fun as well.

The forecast for up on Mt. Hood last I saw was close to 90 tommorrow, so I don't think there will be much relief up there. Though, I bet those mountain lakes are getting a little warmer. Wonder how much glacial snow is left up around Timberline?

I had also thought about the water parks, but I think my little one is still a bit young for that. I don't know how strict those places are with those that aren't potty trained yet, even if they are still wearing a diaper.

Am I too big to run through the fountains??? LOL!!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

Yup, that's the one! My friend just went there last weekend with his 9 and 11 year old kids. He said they had more fun there then at Disneyland, but that it was pretty expensive. He also said that there were a lot of hottie mommies there, which for some reason makes me uncomfortable when I type it.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

Not sure where the 67 degree forecast for Timberline came from, but it is actually supposed to be 90 degrees up there on Friday and Saturday.

Perhaps 67 was the current temperature this morning?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,991 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

Wow, in fact, the web site below now shows that it is 94 up there????

wunderground.com/US/OR/Timberline_Lodge.html

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,274 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It is hot outside!! Need indoor activity ideas!!

Yeah, I saw the forecast for Timberline last night and it said 90 for today.

In WA there is Great Wolfe, but for just a day at a waterpark a better place is Wild Waves. BUT...I would not go during a heat wave as that place gets so jam packed!

Personally, with a 2 yr old, I would just stay home and get the sprinkler out and popsicles. Maybe see if a store near you still has any slip n slides left, or something similar. Get squirt guns. Any sort of water toy, and stay home and play.