We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

MAX Light Rail or taxi

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
MAX Light Rail or taxi

Will it be a hassle to take the Max light rail from the airport to the Doubletree Hotel Lloyd Center with luggage? Would a taxi make more sense?

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
677 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

A taxi would definitely be the way to go. It's such a pain to drag luggage on MAX, and you'll have to switch trains to get to Lloyd Center.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,842 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

When it comes to traveling to and from airports with luggage, I always take a Taxi. Because, yes, I think they do make more sense :)

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

The MAX red line goes straight from the airport to Lloyd Center - no train change required. Here's the map.

trimet.org/schedules/maps/maxsystem.htm

It's probably less hassle then a taxi if you have one or two pieces of small rolling luggage and if it is not raining much. If you have something big, or a lot of pieces, I'd spring for a taxi.

Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

Thanks for the advice.

I didn't realize I would have to switch trains.

The hotel made it seem like it was an easy on and off when they suggested it.

Harwich Port...
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

Sorry Cattrav,

We crossed wires there. We will only have one large rolling suitcase each.

Do you have an idea how far of a walk it is from the stop to the hotel?

USA
Level Contributor
717 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

I'll guess maybe a block north and a block west.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,965 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

I'm with the "take a cab" people. MAX could be a hassle with even one piece of luggage (especially depending upon the time of day you would be on the train.)

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,571 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

I'll cast my vote for 'take MAX', assuming you aren't arriving at some late hour. I used to ride this route pretty frequently and would often see travelers with one or more big pieces of luggage...doesn't seem to be a big deal.

MAX is extremely easy from PDX to Lloyd Center; Red Line departs from the terminal (lower level, near baggage claim carousel #1) every 15 minutes. Ride to the Lloyd Center/NE 11th stop, which is will take approximately 30-minutes. The stop is in front of Holladay Park, directly across the street from DoubleTree.

One-way adult fares are currently $2.05, but increases by a quarter on Sept. 1st to $2.30.

Just so you can compare, a cab would run about $25 and would be about a 15 minute ride from the airport, depending on traffic.

Hope that helps,

Brian

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

We always take the MAX to and from the airport. The airport is the 1st stop for the Red Line train and, as long as you aren't sitting in a "Priority Seating Area" (where you are required to move for seniors and people with disabilities), you already have a spot for your luggage all staked out.

When we picked up my mother-in-law (and her 2 HUGE suitcases plus her carry-ons -- and she only stayed for 5 days!), we got one of the 4-seat blocks and used 2 of the seats for her bags.

Beaverton, OR
Level Contributor
341 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: MAX Light Rail or taxi

Sorry, that should of been we used 1 of the seats for her 2 carry-on bags! Wish we could edit posts!