We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

As if we didn't already know....

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Topic
As if we didn't already know....

For anyone interested, the latest issue of Gourmet magazine has a nice article on Portland's dining scene. Places like Beast, Le Pigeon, Sel Gris, Ten 01, Lovely Hula Hands, and Toro Bravo are recognized as some of the better new kids on the block, while those like Paley's Place and Higgins remain good old guard choices. Interestingly, Lucier was tagged as the city's only "four-star" dining choice.

Also interesting is the fact that most of the top chefs in town get along well enough with eachother to share ideas, and even products. So, the vegetable dish you have at Le Pigeon might have been sourced from the Sel Gris chef's home garden. Better that, I think, than a toe-to-toe competitive environment.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: As if we didn't already know....

I don't know, mistletoe. I kinda miss the days when the staff from Zefiro would sneak into Compass World Bistro late at night and put superglue on the toilet seats.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: As if we didn't already know....

LOL, yeah, oregone, those were the days...

Thanks mistletoe :) Interesting..

I am happy that the restaurants that I like are on the list lol and see the list of places we will have to try out is getting longer.. hmmm...

I will be interested in hearing about Lucier a year from now :)

Was the Urban Farm (The Nines Hotel) mentioned ?

Level Contributor
5,143 posts
671 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: As if we didn't already know....

Man, things change too fast in Portland.

We haven't tried any of the "new kids on the block" yet. Heck, I hadn't even heard of most of them! Sad. Lots to look forward to, though!

The "old guard" choices are quite excellent I must say.

Thanks for giving me something to salivate about mistletoe!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: As if we didn't already know....

Are those Zafiro and Compass World Bistro (where the heck was that?) still around, oregone? Now I'll be wondering every time I walk into a restaurant bathroom.

Nope, no mention of Urban Farmer, Scarlett. I doubt it was even open when the article was researched/written. Curiously, no mention of Fenouil either. Hmmm.... Or Carlyle. :-( But Bluehour made the list of "not-to-be-missed-favorites". Double hmmm..... ;-) As for Lucier, better try it next time you visit. I wouldn't bet that it'll be open a year from now.

Ever heard of The Country Cat Dinnerhouse & Bar, J&S? Me neither, but it's also on the New Guard (kids) list. I've been to all the others I mentioned though, and you're right to salivate! :-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: As if we didn't already know....

Alas, Compass World Bistro closed at least five years ago. I loved that place as well as the owners, Mike and Chris. They did a fabulous job on a catering event for me when I had a wine tour going for three days. People from eight countries. Compass rocked!

Urban Farmer just opened last Thursday, so no mention of them yet.

Country Cat Dinnerhouse. FABULOUS!!!! It is in SE Portland on 79th & Stark. Adam Sappington and his wife Jackie own the place. Adam is the chef...he used to be at Wildwood. The food is great! I am going there for dinner this coming Wednesday (shared family birthday party).

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,990 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: As if we didn't already know....

FYI - http://www.thecountrycat.net/

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: As if we didn't already know....

PDXWineaux,

We were just at Country Cat on Thursday and I had the fried chicken. What's up with the boneless thing? At least when the bone is in it I know when to stop eating. But the way they serve it I ended up with a mouth full of sinewy fatty stuff every fifth bite or so. Maybe I had the place just too built up in my head but I was really disappointed after leaving. Great service, though. And family friendly.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: As if we didn't already know....

So brunch at the Country Cat? It seems we are better suited to breakfast or lunch on weekends...the afternoons tend to get away from us and then I am too tired to go out for dinner and enjoy it. OK I know how miserable that sounds....anyway, that's the way it is. I was going to suggest breakfast at Mother's this Saturday but something new would be fun. Ideas?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
18,165 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: As if we didn't already know....

I don't know why but when I look at the name, it is Country Cathouse to me LOL

oregone, that has happened to me before and I end up gagging and spitting it out ... ( sometimes I am more fun to go out with than a 2 year old) ...

Is this list like the Hotel list on Conde Nast? Because those are from "users" and we all know that some people will visit a place in the 1980s and still recommend it, not knowing it was torn down in the '90s .. :)

This has not happened to me .... yet ..... lol...

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: As if we didn't already know....

The way my day is going I feel like I live in the Country Cat House.

I have to be careful about posting on the Chico CA forum. I've only been gone two years but several favorite restaurants are gone. It would be a bit embarassing to recommend one that's closed!