We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking in downtown

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Topic
Parking in downtown

We cannot fit our truck into underground parking. We normally will take MAX in, but may also drive.

I know there is metered street parking. Do the meters still take coins, and what is the maximum stay with one meter-feeding? Free on Sundays?

Is there any handicapped parking along the street? I cannot recall seeing any handicapped spaces.

Is the area of the new MAX construction still all torn up, and if so, where is it?

And, what is the closest MAX station to the Portland City Grill? We thought it would be nice to have a drink and see the view if not raining.

Portland
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking in downtown

Sundays are free.

The meters will take coins as well as credit/debit cards.

As regards the max time, it depends on the area where you park. As I remember from recently parked by City Grill the meters around there range from 90 mins. to 2 hours.

As I recall according to a friend who uses handicapped parking any space is considered a handicapped space. There are some spaces on the street specifically for handicapped parking by the Art Musuem but other than that I don't see too many on the street.

It shouldn't rain 'til Sunday, maybe.

Didn't you post in the Scotland forums this week?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking in downtown

Nearest MAX stop to PCG would be, I think, Skidmore Fountain:

http://trimet.org/go/cgi-bin/stop_info.pl?Id=7071&acode1=PO&x1=45.523089&y1=-122.671303&start=06:14+pm&date=12/05/08&lang=t

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking in downtown

Meters still take coins. Pile a bunch of quarters in your bag. Using the credit/debit card approach to the meters has turned into a time consuming pain. Especially when the weather is rain.

Still free on Sundays and holidays.

Not sure about the MAX station locations as I live here and usually walk to my destinations. Others will help on this part.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking in downtown

My understanding is that any spot is considered handicapped parking, and if you have a handicap permit the parking is also free. I see people with handicap permits park on the street all day during the week for free outside my building downtown. So, as long as you can find a spot, you shouldn't have a problem.

If you decide not to go that route, there are several lots that are not underground that you would fit your truck in. I am specifically thinking of the ones near the end of the Morrison bridge.

Most of the construction is on 5th and 6th, and they pretty much have that cleaned up now.

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking in downtown

Thanks all. I did plow through a couple of Portland city websites and finally found some info about handicapped parking - not from the official sites, but from an article in the Portland Tribune! It seems any street parking spot is free with a placard.

Yes, yogidon, I read the UK forum all the time and occasionally post ;-)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
12,789 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking in downtown

Hi Half-Brit

Sorry I did not see this post earlier.

Yes - you are correct, with a current parking placard from any state properly displayed, Multnomah county will let you park there as long as you need up to 24 hours. (Anything after 24 hours and they consider it 'storage' and subject to ticketing) You only have to observe the time limit IF the spot is designated for 30 minutes or less, or is for special purpose (Loading zone, drop off area, police only, etc.)

Depending on who is doing the patrolling, if you have a hang-tag, its vital that it be hanging from the rear-view mirror and not sitting on the dash. Some of the enforcement folks can be sticklers about that.

Also - Oregon changed its disabled parking program and now issues two types of tags - wheelchair tags and non-wheelchair tags. It is up to the individual country as to enforce them or not. Earlier this Spring, Multnomah county decided not to enforce it until they have studied it some more - but I have not heard more on the subject. So I think for now, any type of placard will work for extended time parking.

Best of luck!

-Noah

p.s. More info at: portlandonline.com/transportation/index.cfm…

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
43,069 posts
1,080 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking in downtown

Thanks Noah, especially for the info about hanging it on the mirror! I suppose it could take 3.4 seconds longer for the parking official to find it on the dash . . . ;-)

8. Re: Parking in downtown

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2009, 14:21