We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Chill hangouts downtown?

San Luis Obispo...
2 posts
Save Topic
Chill hangouts downtown?

My girlfriend and I are going to visit Portland for the first time in early September and are wondering where the best chill bars, coffee houses or other cool hangouts would be in the downtown area? We are 22 and 26 and are going to check Portland out as a potential place to live.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

DO NOT tell anyone, but MoMo on SW 10th and Yamhill has the best outdoor patio EVER for drinks. An oasis in the city, it is.

You might like Brazen Bean as well. I've been hanging out at Cassidy's lately, just because it's fun to watch the drunken concert goers from the Crystal Ballroom walk back to the MAX station.

If you're 22 and 26, you are thankfully too old to hang out at those weird clubs up on Naito Parkway and such. I'd also steer clear of the Greek Cuisina--nothing but suburbanites there. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

You might check out the Blue Hour for drinks. Or Oba for great happy hour food at a good price. Both in Northwest Portland. If you are interested in good live music go over to The Laurelthirst about 30th and NE Glisan on the Eastside. Incredible live music 6 PM on, good clean food and cheap beer!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

archibum:

For downtown hangouts, check out Saucebox (214 SW Broadway), XV (i.e. "Fifteen", 15 SW 2nd Ave), and/or H2O (204 SW Yamhill St).

On the inner eastside (just across the river...)

look for Holocene (1001 SE Morrison St) or Doug Fir (830 E Burnside St). When you get to town (or even online) look for local weekly papers "Willamette Week" & "Mercury" to find out what's happening & who's playing in town when you're here.

Despite the Starbucks, Coffee People, etc. shops on every corner, look for Stumptown (128 SW 3rd Ave or 3377 SE Division St) or Coffee Plant (724 SW Washington St). Also check out Voodoo Doughnuts (22 SW 3rd Ave) if you're out late (or early...)

Have a good visit - Portland is a great place to live!

Brian

Level Contributor
35,211 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

Agree with mambaboo, Bluehour is wonderful. We also enjoyed hanging out at the Heathman, having desserts after a full day of sight-seeing. It's a great place to relax out on the sidewalk there. They close for lunch at 2:00 but serve a bar menu all afternoon. Excellent service and friendly staff. Have fun! :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

The Heathman is nice, but you won't see many of your age there unless they're with their parents. Not too far from Bluehour, which is a restaurant and bar that draws a crowd your age, is Vault Martini, another place that seems to be popular with the 20's - 30's set. Have a good time here in Portland.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,589 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

One other cool place for a drink (not necessarily dinner...) is Portland City Grill on the 30th floor of the US Bank Tower ("Big Pink") at the north end of downtorn, SW 5th/6th & Burnside. The view of the city & Mount Hood is awesome! At Happy Hour, it's usually pretty packed with business people (high-profile crowd), but don't let that be a turn off. Try to get a table near a window, kick back with a martini & enjoy.

Portland also has tons of microbreweries/brewpubs. Check out Bridgeport (1313 NW Marshall), Rogue Public House (1339 NW Flanders), Tugboat Brewing (a tiny hole in the wall - but worth finding, 711 SW Ankeny St).

A small but cool area to check out in close-in North Portland is the Albina/Mississippi area: Widmer Gasthaus (955 N Russell St) White Eagle Tavern (836 N Russell St.) and Mint/820 (820 N Russell St); also Gotham Building Tavern (2240 N Interstate Ave). You can take the MAX "Expo Center/Yellow Line" if you don't want to drive; it's just one stop past the Rose Garden arena.

If I think of more I'll just keep throwing them at ya...

Brian

Brian

Level Contributor
35,211 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

We dined at Gotham this summer and really enjoyed the place. Innovative food, cool atmosphere and great service. We will definitely return.

My son (21) raves about Portland City Grill for the views. He took his fiance (wife in Oct.) there after he proposed on a carriage ride through Portland. :)

Level Contributor
35,211 posts
899 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

BTW, you can make reservations at clarklewis and Gotham Building Tavern on Opentable now. Convenient way to make ressies and you get points. I just cashed in my dining certificate from booking this way! :)

Milwaukie, Oregon
7 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

you have to go to Stumptown .. best Coffee best place to hang

San Luis Obispo...
2 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Chill hangouts downtown?

Thank you all for your suggestions. We'll try to check out as many as possible while we're in town. We're really looking forward to our visit.