We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weeee're back!

Dublin, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Weeee're back!

Hi Everyone! I just wanted to thank everyone for all of your wonderful advice about where to visit. The Holiday Inn was definitely the down point of our trip, but we didn't spend too much time in the room anyways. We looooved Portland!! We were so depressed driving home! We didn't look at houses very much, but just driving through different areas we actually really liked Clackamas. I don't think anyone really mentioned it in the forums before, and was just wondering if anyone had any information on it. We were really impressed with the Pearl District, I think we liked it better than downtown. We had a great time and can't wait to go back! Thanks again for everyone's help!

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weeee're back!

I'm really glad you liked Portland. It's nice here. Too bad priceline didn't hook you up with the Mallory, which is also designated a 3* downtown hotel per their criteria.

Now, I'm really new here on these forums, so i'm not sure how smarmy i can be while still being appropriate. That being said, are you SURE you like Clackamas? If so, what do you like about it? Is it dissimilar to the suburbs of Phoenix, Denver, Seattle, or any other western metro area? If so, how? I'm not being critical here, I'm really curious. Perhaps you are banking on the 2008 light-rail extension from Gateway to Clackamas Town Center, or maybe the microparks at the new neighborhoods bordering Happy Valley strike your fancy. Whatever the reason, i'd be very curious as to why Clackamas stood out in your travels.

Dublin, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Weeee're back!

Well we really only saw from the freeway and we stopped for lunch and stopped in costco in Clackamas. I guess we just thought it reminded us a lot of where we are now. There seemed to be a lot there and it wasn't too crowded. We also never actually drove directly from Portland we came over from Tigard. My husband definitely wants to live in the suburbs rather than the city. We thought out in the Beaverton area was okay, but the traffic was awful and coming from the Bay Area that is definitely something we'd like to get away from. We never actually found Happy Valley. I don't know what the area is really like there like if it's safe, or nice in the neighborhoods or anything. We won't be able to move for about 2 years so we still have a lot of exploring to do up there. If you'd like to email me at monika123us@yahoo.com with your real thoughts feel free :) You don't have to worry about offending me, I am really just interested in knowing what people really think so that I don't end up somewhere that I won't be happy. Thanks!

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,982 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weeee're back!

Monika--I too wondered what drew you to the Clackamas area. Honestly, I would stay away, but that is just my opinion. The Happy Valley area is nice, and our friends like their nieghborhood. They bought about 3-4 years ago and spent about $500K on their house. I know what you mean about Beaverton and the traffic. I lived there 20 years ago and it was fine then, but when we moved back we avoided it right off the bat. I think I mentioned this in another post, but we are in a SW suburb and really like it. Traffic is not too bad, and like anywhere you learn the backroads pretty quick, lol!

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
114 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weeee're back!

Monika:

I'm glad you enjoyed your trip and were able to explore a good bit. I thought your timeline for a move was sooner than 2 years - you are right you have lots of time to investigate more options.

Regarding the Beaverton traffic, you must have seen the road construction on Highway 26. That road has been a mess for several years as they've reroted lanes and diverted portions of the highway to expand to 3 lanes each way. Problem is it's growing so fast out there that they already could add more lanes. Also I hope you read the good cover article in Friday's Portland Tribune re: commuting to the western suburbs. It explained how the latest studies show that during the morning 'rush hour' there actually are more cars travelling AWAY from the city than towards it - which says something about the strong economic status of Washington County.

Keep us all posted when you decide to make another visit.

See ya,

Brian

Maine
Level Contributor
440 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weeee're back!

Monika. So glad you enjoyed your trip. I've been to Happy Valley, actually to see some houses the builder of mine in Tigard was building there. Some absolutely beautiful views there. I asked my family about Clackamas. They said they know quite a few people who live there and like it. But if you are judging by Costco -- they are all over the place, as is Home Depot et cet. Before I moved here I didn't think Oregon had "all the comforts of home", well, you know what, they do, and more. The Tri-Valley area is going to seem so isolated when you move here. There is so much more diversity here. Yeah, I know, coming from the Bay Area that sounds nuts but it's true. And get yourself ready for some great Mexican Food!!!

Don't forget to check out RMLS.com. I looked at Clackamas and there are some nice houses in your price range. But do look at as many neighborhoods as you can, and you have plenty of time to do that. And as Brian said, a newspaper would be a good thing. My family had the Oregonian sent to me in CA so I could see the ads and familiarize myself with some things. Even if you just get the Sunday paper sent to you, that's the one that has the Homes Section in it, and the Entertainment section, so you can see what's going on in town. It's probably very inexpensive and may be free if you want a trial subscription.

Dublin, CA
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Weeee're back!

Thanks for the info on Clackamas. I was getting worried, but it's not like we already decided we want to live there it was just a first impression. I think that when we do get serious we will definitely try and hook up with a good realtor because we really have no clue as to which parts are nice and which parts aren't so nice. But overall we didn't really see anywhere that we didn't like. I definitely didn't see any areas like Richmond, Oakland, or Vallejo. I would love to buy a condo in the city for a couple of years, but I don't know if Hubby is too into it. The city just seemed so easy to manage, and I also felt a lot safer than in a place like San Francisco. It might have just been in my head as I know that in every city there are dangers, but I just felt really at ease. Everything up there just felt more comfortable. I think we'll plan another trip for around Christmas so that we can see more of the winter weather. And the paper idea is definitely a good idea. I think they may even have an online version. Take care!

Napa Valley...
Level Contributor
353 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weeee're back!

Hi. I started a post higher up before I saw this thread. We have finally decided that we will move from the SF Bay area to Portland (as opposed to San Diego, Honolulu, Seattle, Ashland, Asheville, ...) this winter.

My daughter will probably attend school at PJA, which is the 97219 zip code (west or southwest -- Multnomah?). I will probably work at Legacy Emanuel Hospital Downtown (97227). Any suggestions on somewhere to live that would be close to her school but still an easy commute (especially by light-rail if possible) for me?

We'll be coming up the first weekend in October to look at neighborhoods, schools, jobs, ...

THANK YOU!!!!!