We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
600 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

We are considering a wine tasting trip to Portland for Memorial weekend when most wineries are open. Last time we did a side trip to Bend which we loved but would like to pursue some road biking, hiking, etc. Is there another area worth visiting that would provide us with some active pursuits?

Portland
Level Contributor
213 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

Go up the Columbia River Gorge. There're several nice wineries on the Washington side and an infinite aboumt of outdoor activities on the Oregon side.

Milwaukee, WI
Level Contributor
600 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

We've been to Washington wine country and visited the Columbia River Gorge area. Might be taking friends along for their first Portland visit so another area might be nice to try.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

I like the Willamette Valley wine options. The Dundee Bistro (about 40 minutes from Portland by car) is one of my favorite places for lunch and good place to get advice about local wineries within short driving distance.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
2,456 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

If you havent been here yet- try the 3 capes loop near Tillamook on the Oregon Coast. Hike out to the end of Cape Lookout at Cape Lookout State Park. You could also probably bike this loop as well.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,986 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

The wineries near Dundee, in my opinion, are a fabulous choice, as are those in the Eola Hills, a bit south on Hwy 99W...such Eola area wineries as St. Innocent, Bethel Heights, Cristom and Witness Tree.

In the Dundee area, I would highly recommend Patricia Green Cellars, Beaux Freres, Shea Wine Cellar, Brick House and Le Bete.

I will also recommend (although I have not tried their wines yet and need too as many wine biz people I know tell me that they are great) Grouchau (sp.)

If you want someone else to drive, I highly recommend Grape Escape Winery Tours. They do a great job.

Just an FYI, budget for you winery visits that weekend. Most wineries do have tasting fees ranging from $5-25 per person.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

Maybe take a day trip to the Columbia Gorge area to Multnomah Falls. It is a nice scenic hike to the top. Multnomah Falls is about an hour east of Portland.

Pittock Manasion and Council Crest Park have fabulous views of Portland. Also Washington Park is a nice place to walk around at in spring time.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

Memorial Day weekend is a lot of fun down by the wineries. We just live a few minutes from a few of them and enjoy hitting new ones each year.

A few personal favorites are Brick House, Grochau(he is now located in NW Portland though...but he is a must stop!), Arbor Brook, Adelsheim, Amity and Chehalem. These are the ones that we always come back to and always seem to have in the house. Just opened another bottle of Grochau last night:)

As for active things to do, the gorge has lots of hiking and biking options, but there is also Silver Falls which is just east of Salem and has a fantastic 7 mile hike that encompasses 10 waterfalls. Very scenic and a nice hike.

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
11,078 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

Good idea about Pittock Mansion. You can hike there from near the zoo. Very pretty hike, but get a map as the trails around there can be confusing. REI carries a great set of maps for Forest Park.

Oregon
Level Contributor
1,708 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

PIttock Mansion and Council Crest Park are great scenic areas for a picnic lunch (weather dependent). :)

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,856 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Memorial Weekend Wine-Where else to visit in Portland area?

I was thinking Silver Falls too, Mtngrl. That or Stub Stewart State Park, which I've heard is good for both biking and hiking. Haven't been there yet myself, though. In my mind, all recommendations presume you've been to the coast, and go out the window if you haven't.

Are you also asking for winery recommendations? We got a million of 'em!