We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

Any suggestions on good neighborhoods near adidas Headquarters? I have heard Irvington and Hollywood aren't bad.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
114 reviews
1. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

pb:

adidas HQ is in the Overlook & Boise/Eliot areas. There are some nice older homes in these areas and until recently they were among the most affordable areas in Portland. That said, there are pockets which are still run-down and seedy and some that are nice and have been well-kept or have been fixed up by the influx of new home buyers. To some degree, all the surrounding neighborhoods in that area are improving (Arbor Lodge, Piedmont, Woodlawn, Humboldt, etc.); there has been a recent spate of development including the opening of the adidas campus; the Interstate MAX (yellow line) and improvements along Interstate Blvd., expansion of the Portland Community College campus on N. Killingsworth, development along Alberta Street, Mississippi Ave. and (eventually) MLK Blvd. all will help this are to grow and have an improved quality of life.

On a side note, with gentrification comes the debate about displacing the poorer, typically minority residents who have called these areas home for many decades. Times are changing for these areas, you'll have to judge for yourself what you think of it.

Regarding the options in your OP, Irvington is a beautiful neighborhood, filled with many stately old homes but is pretty expensive. The data says median home price in 2004 was $333k, but having lived in that area that seems pretty low. It's sandwiched mostly between Broadway to the south and Fremont to the north.

Hollywood is a great area, a busy thriving district. It's further from adidas but still close enough to the area for a short commute. Home prices are near the same range as Irvington so not as many affordable options for a young homebuyer.

Just curious, are working for adidas or just want to be in that area?

Brian

Oregon/Washington
Destination Expert
for Portland, Sunriver
Level Contributor
10,984 posts
91 reviews
2. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

Brian--I know you read Portland Monthly. Did you see the neighborhood article a year ago? It had a great write up on the Overlook area. I am not sure if one can read the article online from that far back, but it said basically what you just said.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
114 reviews
3. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

mtngrl:

I vaguely remember the Overlook article; some issues I read, some I just thumb through

I checked and there's not an "archive" feature on Portland Monthly's website. But there is contact info and I bet they could easily find an old article for anyone interested...

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
4. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

msubulldog25 & mtngrl - thank you both for your feedback. yes I will be working for adidas. I will definitely look into those areas you suggested.

Thanks

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
1,592 posts
114 reviews
5. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

Sweet, good for you...my wife works for the ad agency that does alot of adidas' web design - so she knows alot of people over there. Seems like a really good place to work...

Portland
Level Contributor
34 posts
6. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

Shift your thinking: Live where you want to do your living.

Portland is pretty compact, and Adidas is public transit-friendly. There are some nice/mixed residential areas right around there -- Beech (Beach?; sorry, I always mess that one up) & Overlook but there's not much going on, except on North Mississippi Ave. (Very fun, but very short.)

When you first come out, spend some time wandering the neighborhoods:

--Alberta St.

--Hawthorne/Belmont

--Pearl (Glisan St is the main drag)

--NW 23 Ave/NW 21st

--Downtown

That's by no means complete, but it will give you a start. Housing prices have gone nuts in the past year, getting more in line with other West Coast cities. But do go on oregonlive.com which is "affiliated" with The Oregonian newspaper & has a lot of good content & ads. It's not run by the newspaper itself, and it's crummy to navigate, but it's still the best resource.

And do get someone at adidas HR to send you the Sunday paper. The whole thing, not just the real estate section.

Evergreen, Colorado
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
7. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

Fair Point Cime-in I definitely want to live in an area I would enjoy.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

N Mississippi is basically just SE hawthorne but 15 years ago. Living close to work is a good idea, and there's tons of stuff to do in that neighborhood. Plus, you can walk to Fire on the Mountain, which is arguably Portland's first real hotwing place.

Check out RMLS#5061727. Doesn't that look nice?

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
9. Re: Where to live Near adidas Headquarters

N0t sure what you are looking for. Lower Northeast Portland (area around Adidas) is in transition. Still some gangs there. Lovely old homes, but sometimes risky neighborhoods. I owned a home in Alameda and had no problems. Bought another home on in lower Irvington and dealt gangs and bullets. Now living in Northwest Portland and glad to be here.