We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

I couldn't resist the low airfare deal Southwest had July 8h ($30 ea way fares).

I booked a flight to Portland Nov 7 - 9th but have not told my husband.

The first weekend of November will mark 3 years that we've been together so I wanted to have a surprise getaway weekend w/out the kids.

I'm a Starwood member so will be staying at either the Nines, Aloft, Sheraton, or Westin but haven't booked quite yet. Waiting for best deals with points stay.

Anyways, from any of these properties what are some recommendations for two adults in their 30s w/out the kids - other then just staying in ;)

Coming from Spokane, WA, not sure what Portland has in November, should I definitely rent a car? Might be interested in wine tasting or a show. . is it snowy in Nov or really cold or okay for walking around?

Any ideas and suggestions are appreciated. . its a short trip so probably mostly stick around the hotel, go out for cocktails, and a nice dinner. . mostly wondering if I should get a car, don't want to spend the weekend driving but if we end up at a hotel by the airport would it be tough to get downtown without a car?

Greenacres, WA
Level Contributor
704 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

Is November a bad time to try a drive to Seaside?

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,975 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

Our anniversary is November 6th and we have almost always done something like this - just for a night or for longer if possible .. makes a celebration so much more special :)

Celebrating , Eating and Drinking .....

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1394-Portland_…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i17890-Portland…

Those properties are all in downtown Portland, you can get around easily from the hotel to most places downtown. In November you can count on rain .. but you are from Wa, you are used to it :)

It doesn't snow often in Portland .. it is sort of rare. ( sort of because we were there for 2 winters and it snowed a day both winters lol ... but it was gone by that night)

It is ok for walking around.. but cold.

A car is a pain in the neck in town with parking and you can get everywhere walking and taking the STreetcar.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i1396-Portland_…

If you stay in an airport hotel, you will spend (waste) time going back and forth ( imo) ... better spend the money on the hotel in town and skip the car.

The Monaco Hotel has a fabulous fireplace in the lobby which is so great for winter stays as well as the complimentary wine tasting is in that room, warm and cozy.. if you found a good deal with www.pova.com you might consider that hotel. Great location .. the Westin is not far so that would be a good location.. The Nines might have good deals, I read where they had dropped prices ..

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i892-Sleeping_i…

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,975 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

regarding Seaside.. I would not waste the time driving out there to Seaside, when you have such a short amount of time in Portland... but if there is a great sunny day and you are just longing to go to the beach .. it would be a day trip.

90 minutes from downtown to Cannon Beach ( which I think would be nicer than Seaside) ...but then there is the car rental etc..

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

<<Those properties are all in downtown Portland, you can get around easily from the hotel to most places downtown. >>

Actually, two of the four hotels are downtown....The Nines and the Westin are both downtown. The Sheraton and Aloft are both at the airport (Aloft is in the Cascade Parkway, near Ikea).

If you stay at the airport, Aloft would be the easist as far as getting downtown without a car. The MAX line runs right by the hotel and the stop is about one block from the hotel lobby. I have not been in the rooms at Aloft, but I have been in the lobby/bar area. It's very "cool" and hip. They do not have a full service restaurant, just a bar, so you will need to dine elsewhere, which should not be an issue as you plan to head downtown.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

As for the beach....both Cannon Beach and Seaside are 90 minutes from Portland. Which one to visit will depend on what you are looking for, beach-wise. You can actually EASILY do both, in one day, and not feel rushed.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,980 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

<<Is November a bad time to try a drive to Seaside?>>

Not usually a problem in November. You just want to be prepared for rain. It usually is not cold enough, in November, to cause driving issues.

Portland, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Portland
Level Contributor
5,597 posts
145 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

If possible, I would avoid an airport hotel and stay downtown. There are many great hotels. My preference is The Embassy Suites. Nice rooms, breakfast included, easy walking to both The Pearl and Downtown.

November weather is unpredictable. Usually rainy and a bit windy. Very rarely snow. Pick up an umbrella when you get to the hotel and wear layers as temperatures can change throughout the day.

You will need a car if you are heading to the coast or wine country. You might be able to wrap that into one day and rent a car for that time only.

Have a great visit and welcome!

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,975 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

Oh yes, thank you for the correction .. I am sorry Swirlz .. I did mis-speak .. The Nines and the Westin are downtown .. Mamababoo has a good suggestion also ..

Oregon Coast
Destination Expert
for Crescent City, Oregon Coast, Oregon, Redwood National Park
Level Contributor
42,900 posts
1,048 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

If (that's *if*) you end up at the airport it is easy to get into town using MAX. It takes about 35 minutes or so. Most airport hotels have a free shuttle to the MAX airport station, or as PDX-W said, there is a stop at the Aloft. IKEA is right there, too ;-)

In November, it could be nice and sunny, or it could be raining hard and miserable. It won't be ice cold in all likelyhood, but will be chilly and damp.

I wouldn't bother with Seaside, but that's just my opinion, LOL. If you are thinking of a relaxed, romantic weekend, why take the time to rent a car, drive nearly two hours there and two hours back - only to spend a day either driving more or walking about in the rain? Plus, you then have to return the car . . .

10. Re: 2 nt stay in November - Surprise for DH what should I plan

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 12 July 2009, 04:35