We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

Which Portland hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Diego
4 posts
Save Topic
Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

We are planning on staying in Portland for 5 nights in August.

We have chosen these 2 hotels because of size. We have our 3 year old with us, so want to make it as comfortable for all.

Both have good reviews at Trip Advisor, with Northrup getting the nod.

Anyone stayed at both and have an opinion?

I know Northrup is not exactly downtown (Northwest Dist.) but has the street car right there.

Look forward to responses.

Thanks,

Derek

BTW: Both a basicaly the same rate.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,826 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

The Inn at Northrup is a quirky hotel and like you say, right on the streetcar line, a walk to the boutiques and restaurants on NW 21st and 23rd .. easy to get anywhere in town from there.

Embassy Suites is more traditional hotel style and gets really good reviews.

So I would use the location and style ( which one appeals to you most) issues as a decider :)

(I lean towards to Inn at Northrup St ... I lived not that far from there and walking in those neighborhoods is a treat and there are parks for a 3 year old to run amok and plenty of spots to stop and have a snack, coffee and a sweet. )

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

Hi SoCal: I will be staying at the Embassy Suites for 6 days in July & August. I chose this property due to location ( Pearl District ), suites, breakfast & managers reception included, cool pool & spa, restaurant and bar on location. This property, aside from the aforementioned, appealed to me because it looked more adult friendly, although there is a "game room" I assume it is more adults and teens. If there are lots of parks close the the Northrup, that may be the way you would want to go. It's been a long...time since my kids were that little, but I remember wanting to find a property that catered more toward the wee ones. BTW, the Northrup does not have a pool, in case you were interested. Good luck and enjoy your stay in Portland, I KNOW we're going to :o)

For things to do: the zoo and OMSI looks awesome for the little guys. Very hands on.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

I think i'd choose Northrup just because of the streetcar. I can imagine our beh-beh (28 months) getting a huge kick out of seeing the streetcar go by every 15 minutes as opposed to a souped up '96 Acura Integra with spinny rims going by thumping Fiddy Cent every 15 minutes. Northrup is also a pleasant walk to the Balch Creek trailhead at the end of Upshur street, and you can take the streetcar right to Jamieson Square park with it's ridiculously popular-with-the-kids fountain.

I love the downtown Embassy Suites, but if it were me I'd go Northrup.

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,826 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

Sometimes, I wish I were (oregones) behbeh .. life sounds like it would be so much more fun and interesting than being a grown-up .. Fiddy cent? :D

Seattle
Level Contributor
4,398 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

Are there two Embassy Suites in Portland? The one I'm thinking of is not in the Pearl District, more in the Old Town section (2nd St maybe?--right near the Bijou).

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,826 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

No, I think that is the only Embassy Suites. .

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
1,021 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

Oh Scarlett, if you were my beh-beh your whole life would be caterpillars and bobcats. Both kinds of both--trucks AND fauna.

Monterey, California
Level Contributor
790 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

I didn't mean that the Embassy Suites was actually IN the Pearl District, just that it was really close by. Sorry for the consusion.

Scarlett, I'm with you...I wanna be Oregone's behbeh! What a great life...whowee :O)

Buenos Aires...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires
Level Contributor
17,826 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

I grew up in the South and not long ago, here in Buenos Aires, we were the proud babysitters of 24 eggs.. that hatched these little black chicks who were all Named by Me so no one will Eat them and 2 of them belong to us and live on a Campo...

Send me the beh beh.

Las Vegas, NV
Level Contributor
5 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Embassy Suites (downtown) or Northrup Station?

Definitely Northrup Station. Nice location, nice neighborhood with 21st and 23rd ave for shopping and eating within walking distance. Next to the light rail.

The Embassy suites is HORRIBLE!!!